Cease fire policy when playing vs the AI. ?

Disclaimer: About halfway thru a game I will cease fire after a save, just to get a sense of progress for my own training purposes natch, no looking at the map of course.

So... When you know you already have a minor victory with a lot of time to go (over 30 minutes) do you fight on (and possibly take a lot more casualties) or cease fire?

It makes sense from a game perspective to cease fire as soon as you have some sort of win. But, for all you know the enemy is about to launch a counterattack and maybe one should play on to the bitter end.

Of course sometimes absolutely nothing happens for 30+ mins at the end, and if one gets bored and advances further towards that last objective, that is where 90% of your casualties can occur.

So, what policy do you guys follow?

I almost always play to the bitter end or the game decides for me. There have been a few times when my plan of action was so bad I just decided to take the loss and move on, this being in campaigns.

I kind of know how well I am doing as I progress.

If I am playing the Germans, then I adhere to the total war policy. Scary as that is...

"I ask you: Do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?"