Post Your Scenario Ideas

Hey everyone,

While anxiously waiting for the Beta reports and a solid "Gold Edition" date, what are some of the scenario ideas you'all are thinking about ?? Also, what resource info have you found for creating some realistic and playable games to "plug into" CM's editor ??

I'm formulating as much as I can find on Arnhem. Trying to gather info on the battles around Oosterbeek (sp?) and the 1st Airborne's attempts to get to their isolated battalion at the bridge.

I also, want to find obscure resources on the British and US airborne ops on DDay. Anyone, know of any detailed & accurate accounts of "unit" actions that are not well known ??

Thanks, and slap some ideas for scenarios HERE !!

David,

There's a book I've recently purchased, but havn't had a chance to start reading yet, on the Arnhem / Market Garden battles from the German perspective which is supposed to be pretty good. The title is: "It Never Snows in September." You might want to pick it up as it looks to have some pretty good info in it from what little I've skimmed through the book so far. As far as the D-Day airdrops go can't help you there, but I'm sure there are some good books (maybe unit histories of the US/English airborne formations) that would probably have the type of info you are looking for. Try searching www.amazon.com or the like for 101st or 82nd Airborne, etc.

As far as scenarios go I'm looking at doing 2 or 3 historical scenarios from one or more of the following areas: Normandy, perhaps the pursuit across France after Falaise, attacking the WestWall / Siegfreid Line, Market Garden, and the Battle of the Buldge. I'll also probably do several what if type of scenarios not actually based on real life battles as these are much easier to do since you don't have to do all of the research on the map, forces, etc.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Mike,

There are not going to be any beach head invasions in CM. This has been brought up numerous times here one the board and BTS has firmly stated that they do not intend to model the beach invasions at Omaha, or anywhere else for that matter. Reasons given had something to do with the fact that such a scenario would mostly end up being a slaughter and overall, really isn't much fun to play if I remember correctly. Try searching through the old threads here on the board for words like "beach" or the like and you will probably find some of the old discussions on this subject.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Searching back through the old threads I found the following on why there will be no beach invasions as posted by Steve of BTS back in May.

At CM's scale of simulation a beach assault would be nothing but death. No tactics, no strategy, just death. 30-40min scenarios,that is what we are talking about in CM, not the beginning of a week's long assault that you get to carry out. If CM simulated days, weeks, or months there would be a strong case for including beach landings. But not for Combat Mission.

You can only command a little more than a battalion. Even if the Germans only get a company and some heavy weapons... they would wipe out nearly everybody in the short timeframe of a CM scenario. Whoever wasn't killed or incapacitated would be pinned, broken, or panicked. Now picture this in game terms -> 40 turns of doing nothing but watching guys get creamed. No tactical or strategic genius possible for either side. Germans just shoot until they are out of ammo. Allies just die, get pinned, or otherwise do nothing significant. And even if a few bloody squads manage to get off the beach, then what? Take out a few German squads? Not a very big reward for spending about 3 hours of game time getting the crap beaten out of you if you are the Allied player. And the German player would have probably gotten tired and walked away from the game long before then, letting his units auto target instead. In fact, we could probably have ZERO AI, other than the targeting stuff, for the German player and they would STILL WIN. It is that pointless.

I remember reading a story from a German MG gunner in a small pillbox on one of the beaches (wasn't Omaha). He went through several thousand rounds of ammo. He thought that he killed hundreds. One MG gunner, probably 10 minutes of combat, wiped out what in CM's terms would be about 1/5 of the Allied landing force. He said the only reason he stopped was because he ran out of normal ammo and was left shooting pure tracers. This attracted too much attention from offshore and his bunker was clobbered.

The only person that would enjoy such a scenario (and I am not saying that you are such a person) is someone who is a little sick in the head. Why? Because it will just be a very, very pointless slaughterfest. I say pointless because the game's scope isn't large enough to give such bloodshed any tactical or strategic meaning.

So combine this with the enormous programming and art needs and you will see why we aren't going to have beach landings. It just isn't a good idea for Combat Mission.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 05-21-99).]

Mike D

aka Mikester

I was a big advocate for beach landings a long time ago..

When I first got CM one of my first scenarios was a beach landing. Trust me, you don't want them to be in. An entire battalion was slaughterd by a company with a couple of pillboxes and some mortars.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Why not have a scenario about the Assault on the Aure River Brigde? Not quite as bloody as a beach assault but still challenging.

------------------

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."

Sir Winston Churchill