Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

All hail the PzIV optics.

Declaring 10% variance based on 50 individual engagements that don't isolate the various factors is nonsense. These duel tests do not work for this purpose.

Record spotting times and shots to hit for 50 Pz IV against 50 Shermans (or 10 with scenario restarted 5 times, etc). Next replace the Pz IVs with Shermans and record spotting times and shots to hit for another 50 individual engagements. Do not allow the targeted tanks to fire back (button them and give a restricted cover arc). You may want to set wind direction back away from the targeted tanks so that any tanks that pop smoke don't obscure other tanks. Obviously soft factors should be identical for all firing tanks.

That might give you numbers that can be compared.

That might give you numbers that can be compared.

If you are attempting to isolate optics performance only then # of shots to first hit will always factor in gun accuracy. No way around that. As I alluded to above, I suspect the game only uses optics to model spotting. Once the contact is confirmed and the shooting starts it's all gun.

That's the take-away I get from this, anyway. Obsessing over the 10% is pointless since it's a fantasy setup. Based on first-hand accounts it seems likely that if a Sherman had ever tried shooting at a Pz IV at 2000m it wouldn't have even seen where the shots were landing.