What's the deal with shooting through trees?

Is there a chance a tank shell will go through a tree? Is it different with the trunk than with the "branches"? (i.e. the part you can turn off with alt-t)

What about for small arms?

Tanks shells and small arms can "go though" trees but they also get stopped by trees too. Direct hits on tree trunks stop rounds. Gunners will adjust aim when they see that happen and multiple hits on the same tree will destroy the tree - next shell will hurt.

Your tree display settings have no bearing on this at all. Those are just to help you view the battle field they do not change what happens to rounds.

So for some examples.

Tanks:

Parking tanks behind trees can be an effective way to block shots - for a while. I have had several times when a tree stopped the first shot and allowed my guys to return fire when otherwise the would not have had the chance.

I have also watched my gunners see their shots get blocked by a tree and tweak their aim and then put their next round on target.

Infantry:

If you have guys in the cover of woods you can often see rounds striking tress and bushes in front of your guys. The volume of rounds that make it through the cover is lower that what came in. Also when your guys fire out sometimes rounds don't make it out. You can see little explosions where the rounds strike obstacles.

Tanks shells and small arms can "go though" trees but they also get stopped by trees too. Direct hits on tree trunks stop rounds. Gunners will adjust aim when they see that happen and multiple hits on the same tree will destroy the tree - next shell will hurt.

Really? IME a lot of times a tank will continue to fire over and over at a tree trunk. Occasionally one will hit the mark but I've had times where an AFV just sits there and pummels a tree while if it adjusted its aim just a bit its shells would go past it.