A Couple of Tactical Questions From a Rookie

Got the game earlier this week and I am very impressed. Not only are the graphics amazing but the game play and realism are a big improvement from the Combat Mission series. With my new video card I have the 3D model setting at Best and 3D textures at Better and it runs smooth as a baby's behind. I have been reading the manual but did not find answers to the following.

(1) I assume that if no orders are given to a infantry unit it will recover stamina. I had some infantry that I ordered to move "slow" and they became exhausted. Later read in the manual that "slow" is tiring. Anyway once they reached their final way point I did not give them any orders but over a span of about 4 to 5 minutes they remained "exhausted". Do infantry recover any faster if for example you order them to "Hide"?

(2) How do you embark or load infantry on to a carrier, and can an observer team be embarked on to a tank? For that matter, can any units at all be embarked on a tank?

One final non-tactical question. Is it true that there is going to be a Market Garden expansion?

Thanks.

(1) I assume that if no orders are given to a infantry unit it will recover stamina. I had some infantry that I ordered to move "slow" and they became exhausted. Later read in the manual that "slow" is tiring. Anyway once they reached their final way point I did not give them any orders but over a span of about 4 to 5 minutes they remained "exhausted". Do infantry recover any faster if for example you order them to "Hide"?

"slow" makes your unit crawl. You trying crawling everywhere and see how tired you get! ;) And no they do not recover any faster with the "hide" command. Yes, they will recover eventually. But an exhausted unit takes a VERY long time to recover as compared to a "ready", "tiring" or "tired" unit.

(2) How do you embark or load infantry on to a carrier,

Select your infantry. Move the cursor over the carrier. The cursor will point down. That means that infantry unit can fit into that carrier or truck or what-have-you.

and can an observer team be embarked on to a tank? For that matter, can any units at all be embarked on a tank?

No and no. Only a tank crew that has bailed out of it's tank can re-embark in the tank from whence they came and THAT tank ONLY (Unless, of course, the tank is destroyed). Tank crews cannot swap tanks.

One final non-tactical question. Is it true that there is going to be a Market Garden expansion?
Yes. There is a thread around here somewhere of what's to come. Look it up. It's interesting.

Aaaand here it is.

Thanks.

Your welcome :)

My advice is to use the Quick command for most movements, not as fast as Fast but you don't get tired quickly, mainly tiring, and with tiring you just have to stop for a turn and they go back to rested for the next turn, Fast is for emergencies only IMO and Slow for moving very short distances up to a hedgerow or window to reduce the chances of getting spotted to quickly or at all.

"slow" makes your unit crawl. You trying crawling everywhere and see how tired you get! ;) And no they do not recover any faster with the "hide" command. Yes, they will recover eventually. But an exhausted unit takes a VERY long time to recover as compared to a "ready", "tiring" or "tired" unit.

I would only add that you really really want to avoid exhausted because it takes so long to recover from. Once you guys get Tired don't worry about it it but start thinking about where they can rest a bit. If the hit Fatigued then get them to stop ASAP because Fatigued is bad enough but next step is exhausted. If you plan some rest when your guys get tired then they will stay OK.

Also note, if you are moving a platoon of if infantry with heavy weapons attached (an MG or a mortar) be aware the guy guys carrying the heavy weapons will tire quicker then the rest of the platoon.