Using 'Control' Movement in SC

The option to hold down control and move units in SC is very powerful and can often be very useful. However, there is a weakness in the current implementation that makes control movement difficult, and sometimes even arbitrary. This weakness results from the fact that, when holding down control, clicking on what is the maximum movement of a unit results in IMMEDIATE movement of that unit. If the extent of a unit's movement is clear and obvious (as is generally the case at sea), then PERHAPS this is OK. But there are a number of occasions when the maximum extent of a unit's movement is not obvious (especially on land close to opposing units), and the first indication that the maximum move has been reached is when a player clicks on what he THINKS is an intermediate movement square – and his unit moves.

Are there any easy solutions to this? I would suggest that there are at least two potential solutions. First, a confirmation 'yes or no' box could pop up any time control is held down and a unit's maximum movement is reached. If the player really does want to move to the square that will be reached if he goes ahead with movement, then he should click 'yes'. If, however, the square that the unit would move to is not at all where he wanted his unit to end up, then he should click 'no'.

If that is too unwieldy (and, given the occasions where control movement is warranted, I really do not see the confirmation as unwieldy), then it should be necessary to 'double-click' when you want a unit to move with control depressed.

Hi Hubert

I think ANYTHING would be an improvement on the status quo, which really is problematic. Having the colour change (or some change to the pattern) when you have reached maximum movement allowance BEFORE the player clicks to start movement is certainly a potential solution. I would prefer a solution that requires an active decision on the part of the player, but your solution is practical too - and if it is easier for you to code I would suggest that we try it and see how it goes.