wut wtf!? I am an Assburger?

Pandur

I did a quick search on Aspergers, looking to see if a specific trait would be considered a symptom of Aspergers - and that is obsessing over the past. I'm not referring to casually reflecting back on things, but full-out obsession. My brief search didn't turn up any mention of it, though.

Deez, any insight?

I think this sums up my view on Aspergers as simply a different wiring. The comment on homosexuality is surely aposite in terms of a majority deciding that something is "wrong" and then changing its stance.

Cultural aspects

Further information: Sociological and cultural aspects of autism

People identifying with Asperger syndrome may refer to themselves in casual conversation as aspies (a term first used in print by Liane Holliday Willey in 1999).[103] The word neurotypical (abbreviated NT) describes a person whose neurological development and state are typical, and is often used to refer to non-autistic people. The Internet has allowed individuals with AS to communicate and celebrate diversity with each other in a way that was not previously possible because of their rarity and geographic dispersal. A subculture of aspies has formed. Internet sites like Wrong Planet have made it easier for individuals to connect.[8]

Autistic people have advocated a shift in perception of autism spectrum disorders as complex syndromes rather than diseases that must be cured. Proponents of this view reject the notion that there is an "ideal" brain configuration and that any deviation from the norm is pathological; they promote tolerance for what they call neurodiversity.[104] These views are the basis for the autistic rights and autistic pride movements.[105] There is a contrast between the attitude of adults with self-identified AS, who typically do not want to be cured and are proud of their identity, and parents of children with AS, who typically seek assistance and a cure for their children.[106]

Some researchers have argued that AS can be viewed as a different cognitive style, not a disorder or a disability,[8] and that it should be removed from the standard Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, much as homosexuality was removed.[107] In a 2002 paper, Simon Baron-Cohen wrote of those with AS, "In the social world, there is no great benefit to a precise eye for detail, but in the worlds of maths, computing, cataloguing, music, linguistics, engineering, and science, such an eye for detail can lead to success rather than failure." Baron-Cohen cited two reasons why it might still be useful to consider AS to be a disability: to ensure provision for legally required special support, and to recognize emotional difficulties from reduced empathy.[9] It has been argued that the genes for Asperger's combination of abilities have operated throughout recent human evolution and have made remarkable contributions to human history.[108]

Wikipedia

I would add that I have always considered exercise [ as in breaking sweat] to be a highly necessary part of human life , even if I rarely practice what I preach:

Depression

A number of factors may contribute to depression including being overweight, low self esteem, stress, and anxiety.[39] Endorphins act as a natural pain reliever and antidepressant in the body.[40] Endorphins have long been regarded as responsible for what is known as "runner's high", a euphoric feeling a person receives from intense physical exertion.[41] However, recent research[20][21] indicates that anandamide may possibly play a greater role than endorphins in "runner's high". When a person exercises, levels of both circulating serotonin and endorphins are increased.[42] These levels are known to stay elevated even several days after exercise is discontinued, possibly contributing to improvement in mood, increased self-esteem, and weight management.[41] Exercise alone is a potential prevention method and/or treatment for mild forms of depression.[43] Research has also shown that when exercise is done in the presence of other people (familiar or not), it can be more effective in reducing stress than simply exercising alone.[44]

When my son was being diagnosed somwhere I picked up a pop-definition of hte difference between Aspergers & Autism - it goes like this:

both are socially inept/unaware.

Aspergers people are aware that that's a problem & want to change it but don't know how.

Autistic people don't care.

A few years later I mentioned it to a psychologist & he reckoned that it's probably accurate as far as it goes, but it's only a small part of both situations.

When my son was being diagnosed somwhere I picked up a pop-definition of hte difference between Aspergers & Autism - it goes like this:

both are socially inept/unaware.

Aspergers people are aware that that's a problem & want to change it but don't know how.

Autistic people don't care.

A few years later I mentioned it to a psychologist & he reckoned that it's probably accurate as far as it goes, but it's only a small part of both situations.

But what about an Assburger? They're aware of their buns but feel trapped by them?

Sigh.....Dear Michael - have a look at the page number when you railed against this not being off the 2nd page yet.

Your distant but obviously better educated cousin.

Of course not everyone on the forum is au fait with how it works - obviously : )

Number of Posts to Show Per PageUse this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.

Number of Posts to Show Per Page:

Sigh.....Dear Michael - have a look at the page number when you railed against this not being off the 2nd page yet.

I did. Your post (this one that I am quoting) is #37 and is still on page 2. Or do you in your dim colonial moronic way assume that all computer monitors are as limited as your own? Good grief, man, wake up!

Michael