CMSF unlicense woes

I'm trying to move CMSF to a new computer, and I own the base game and all modules. When I click the "Unlicense Combat Mission Shock Force" icon from the start menu, I get the license uninstaller for the NATO module. Not sure how things got cross-linked. I tried to re-license CMSF from my original order number, but this resulted in a failure with "error code 11". How can I manually unlicense the main CMSF program so I can reclaim my license key?

I checked the properties for the "Unlicense Combat Mission Shock Force" icon and it appears to be correct, the target is set as follows:

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\CM Shock Force.exe" -unlicense

Regards,

Mark G.

Nevermind, I figured it out. In a complete reinstall scenario, the NATO module license key unlocks the main CMSF product and the NATO module. I reinstalled the base CMSF game and all modules, and then entered all license keys as the last step. After installing the NATO module, and 1.31 and 1.32 patches, I was able to license the base game with the NATO license key, which also licensed the NATO module. Go figure.

I must have missed this in the release notes. :-)

Mark G.

Actually ANY of the modules activates the base game. However there is a problem with unlicensing the base game once you install any module. The base game gets 'replaced' with a different executable when you install any of the modules. This 'different' executable is not recognized as the original one with the license key and thus unlicensing of the base game does not work (an intended feature of the licensing software - but not convenient in this case). That is why we typically recommend NOT licensing the base game in any of the installs if you have any of the modules. The base game license key is not necessary anymore and it becomes very hard to unlicense the base game later on once you install any of the modules. This typically requires reinstalling one of the patches and ONLY updating to a 'base' CMSF game and THEN a reinstall of the base game's license key should be possible.

Thanks for the response, that confirms what I experienced.

This weekend I retired my old gaming PC and replaced it with a Core i7 machine running Windows 7 64-bit. I did this to prepare for coming Direct-X 11 titles.

After my experiences this weekend, I have concerns regarding the suitability/stability of 64-bit Windows 7 as a gaming platform. Under Windows 7, most of my older DirectX games that were for the most part stable under Windows XP are having issues with unexpected crashes running on Windows 7 64-bit, often when the machine is idle. I thought Windows 7 was supposed to be an improvement over XP and Vista in terms of usability and stability, I'm not sure about that assertion now.

After this weekend's experience, I'm ready to trade for a Macbook Pro. Windows 7 is too bloated and unstable, and based upon my experience to date, it's much too easy to break the OS by turning off system services that logically aren't necessary for a gaming rig. It's a good thing we have Google, I can't count how many times I had to consult the net for solutions to things that were simple to do under XP, such as a basic file search (which BTW was completely broken on Windows 7 out of the box). Thank you Google for the solution to that and many other basic usability issues. MS has done a very thorough job with obfuscating the user interface with Windows 7, it's quite annoying to use.

The good news is my two Battlefront titles are very well-behaved under Windows 7. I played both CMSF and CMBN for several hours yesterday with absolutely no issues, both games look and perform great on the new hardware. Good work guys, I guess there's a lot to be said for sticking with OpenGL.

Regards,

Mark G.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Actually ANY of the modules activates the base game. However there is a problem with unlicensing the base game once you install any module. [...]

So presumably it's good practice to unlicense an existing base game before adding any module?

After this weekend's experience, I'm ready to trade for a Macbook Pro. Windows 7 is too bloated and unstable

I like the Macbook Pros from work. If it was my own machine, I might even be very slightly tempted to buy CMSF for OSX. It's a shame that the DRM on CMSF doesn't allow the use of VMs (I understand the reasons why, I just find it a nuisance; it'd be nice to drop an install of CMSF into a VM on an OSX machine when travelling on business).

The good news is my two Battlefront titles are very well-behaved under Windows 7. I played both CMSF [...]

Nice to know. My gaming PC is far too old now. It was a pleasant surprise that CMSF ran at all!

Phil.

Yes, if you are going to install a module on a base-game only copy of CMSF, then it would be a good idea to unlicense CMSF to preserve the license key. Not really a big deal in the long run since most people will usually want to run CMSF with the modules that they purchase, but if you ever run into an issue of CMSF having a problem running, it might be handy to be able to just install and run the base game initially.

One other problem with VM's is that they may not offer enough access to 3D video hardware resources for the game to play well. I'm surprised that some VM programs seem to be compatible with some higher end games that should require significant hardware access, so I don't know how they're virtualizing the video adapter for heavy 3D access. Typically it seems some of these VM programs have a specific list of games that they can support. I'm not sure if there is code within some of these games that allows for such 'pre-emptive tasking' of the video hardware that a VM would run into.

One other problem with VM's is that they may not offer enough access to 3D video hardware resources for the game to play well. I'm surprised that some VM programs seem to be compatible with some higher end games that should require significant hardware access, so I don't know how they're virtualizing the video adapter for heavy 3D access. Typically it seems some of these VM programs have a specific list of games that they can support. I'm not sure if there is code within some of these games that allows for such 'pre-emptive tasking' of the video hardware that a VM would run into.

I suspect it's quite patchy at the moment although I've seen some reasonably heavyweight visualisation software work well in VMs. Perhaps I should find some games (perhaps via Steam) and see what the current VMs do to them.

Phil.