demo charges on tanks

Hi all,

I've got a two man tank hunter team hiding behind a low hedge. They have used up their fausts but still have two demo charges left. At the other side of the hedge is a Sherman. I want to take it out with a demo charge. If I issue a target order on the tank will they lob the demo charges automatically or will they open up with their MP40's to no avail? Also, does anyone know what the maximum range is to throw a demo charge? In CM1 it used to be about 30metres but the "use explosive" instruction seems to have disappeared in CMBN.

In my experience, best course of action is to simply leave the team alone in a good ambush position as close as possible to the tank, without any specific target order. They'll use the a demo charge on the tank if they get up the gumption; it can take a while for this to happen. From my own play experiences, targeting the tank specifically doesn't seem to increase the chances of a successful close assault much, if at all.

I don't know the exact range at which units will use Demos on tanks in CMx2, but it seems to be about the same as in CMx1, perhaps a bit shorter.

Also, as far as I can recall, there has never been a "use explosives" order in CM that allowed you to specifically tell a unit to target a tank or other vehicle with explosives -- the CMx1 order applied to using explosives on the targets like buildings, but did not let you specifically tell a unit to use demos on a tank. Similarly, CMx2's "Blast" order lets you tell a unit to use demos on a length of bocage or a building, but won't let you tell a unit to blow up a tank. The use of demos and other close assault "AT specials" like grenade bundles has always been regulated by the unit AI -- you just have to put the unit in a good position, and hope they have the balls to follow through with the close assault.