Pathing in Gullies - Problem + Workaround

So in my Carillon Nose thread I've recently noted some quirks in terms of how infantry use (or rather, fail to use) depressions (as in gullies and streambeds). I did some testing using a custom map and this is what I found.

My test map has a nice 2 meter deep gully filled with bushes. It winds along taking occasional 90deg angles. Perfect for infiltration.

Alas, the infantry ignores this in order to advance in its usual open country manner -- maintaining decent tactical dispersion (Like!) but wandering around a little to get there (Tolerate). And so you end up with this: 2LT Butterbar about to get his head shot off.

Pathingdetail.jpg

So here's the workaround; put a hedge or fence (wire fence in this case) along the floor of the gully -- I use the "gapped" one in straight sections to minimize guys hopping over. As you can see in this "WITHOUT" / "WITH" side by side comparison, when the doggies have a fence to follow, they stay in the gully! (the downside is that they're more tightly clumped)

Pathing-sansFence.jpgPathing-withFence.jpg

This isn't the first time I noticed this -- CMSF added this "follow the fence/wall/trench" behaviour after the first couple of patches (I think), and it mostly eliminated the suicidal "straying" tendencies of the pixeltruppen in urban settings.

Since the fence following behaviour is already programmed in, why not expand its use to solve the age old road pathing complaint? Provide mapmakers an "invisible fence" object to string along roads, gullies and other likely but winding avenues of advance -- it has no movement or cover effects but simply prompts the units to follow the cordon? A tweak could prompt vehicles as well as infantry to use the logic (if they don't already).

As an interim workaround, I'm going to create an "invisible" Cordon Mod of the wire fence (alpha channel the wire anyway -- I may leave the posts if they share textures with other objects) to string along my ditches to help in pathing. Wire fences were not that common in Normandy and this object can be easily repurposed.

Also, since the ditches are filled with other crapola (bushes, logs) anyway, seeing guys occasionally hopping over something won't look too odd.

Can´t make tests myself ATM, but does it make a difference between using move or hunt? The reorging near the waypoint center spot causes trouble most of the time with single soldiers wandering off, so it´s likely better to use less waypoints. I´d like to see the reorging function entirely skipped, for subsequent (equal order type, non paused) waypoints.

Yes, I tried HUNT and SLOW as well as MOVE. No difference. I wouldn't want to QUICK or FAST a unit longwise up a "tiring" terrain feature although it's true the unit does go into "file" more at these speeds. I think my final answer is to use Heavy Forest for streambeds and ditches which does slow infantry some and has the same impact as Marsh on vehicles.