ATI graphic problems

Hi BTS,

I've got an ATI mobility Radeon graphic card in my computer. Performances are very nice but fog effects are not visible. Manual and FAQ talk about a "fog table" in directX or Videocard window, but i don't find this checkbox anywhere. Do i have to download a driver (my computer is 3 months old, with WinXP, 1.7 Ghz processor, 30 Gigs and DirectX 8) ? Or this kind of graphic card doesn't support fog ?

Anyway, will it be possible, with my configuration, in CMBB to, at last, enjoy battles in fog ?

Thank you.

Sorry, but you are out of luck.

No ATI-based video card seems to support fog-tables to the extent that CM needs (under DirectX - on a Mac fog-tables work). No driver and no tweaker has changed this. Even the latest cards don't support fog-tables properly. The closest ATI came in supporting fog-tables was a beta driver that would paint the entire 3D screen in CMBO solid gray when fog was present.

It would be nice if ATI changed this in the future, but I've pretty much given up hope at this point. Even though they claim that they've 'rededicated themselves' to putting out consistent driver updates with better quality and feature support, there doesn't seem to be any desire to rectify fog-table support. Even when newer drivers come out for the Radeon 9000/9700 there most likely won't be support for fog-tables still.

There's nothing that BTS/BFC can do either at this point to rectify ATI's lack of fog-table support. Changing the programming of fog from fog-tables to another method would be time consuming, very likely cause compatibility problems with other video cards and probably result in even lower performance for other users when fog is present. It will be interesting to see if OpenGL is considered for the PC side in the engine rewrite. However not every card has a very good OpenGL driver on the PC either.

In your case here you're stuck with no fog since there's no way you can change the video chip in your laptop. I don't know if there is any point in contacting ATI to complain about fog-table support. Some people here have done it in the past, but I haven't seen any results yet.

Hi,

Thank you for your messages.

So, I have to consider this situation with philosophy... ...and forget real battles in fog ! Anyway, in my opinion, CM is still a wonderfull wargame, and this minor problem won't stop me ! When i look at all this superb bones sent by Madmatt, you can be sure i don't think about fog. Sad but true : I have no choice !

Bye !