Initial Setting Dialogue

Two parter:

I can't seem to recall where the file that calls up initial screen that shows on first playing the game to set screen resolution is. I need to reset it, but can't find it. I'm on Win7, so there may be some hidden file setting on by default that is keeping me from seeing it.

I also need to know what order in the screen res dialogue would be best for a monitor running 1920x1200. I've got the ATI fix files in, and now I can't see the text!

The file you are looking for is Combat Mission BB Prefs or Combat Mission AK Prefs (CMBB and CMAK, respectively). After deleting this file when you launch CM again you will be prompted to go through the resolution selection process.

The highest resolution offered by the CMx1 series is 1600x1200, however this may initially be at a refresh rate that is beyond your display's capability (but within the video card's). So you may initially be offered 1600x1200 at 120Hz vertical refresh rate (which may appear scrambled or not at all on your display). However if you just let the game run, it will (within 5 - 10 seconds) automatically offer the next lower vertical refresh rate at that same resolution. So you may next be offered 1600x1200 at 100Hz; the 85Hz, etc. Once CM has reached 60Hz at a particular resolution it will then offer the next lower discrete resolution, but again at the highest vertical refresh rate supported by the video card. So you may next be offered 1280x1024 at 160Hz, etc.

With each resolution you should be offered buttons of 'Select' or 'OK' and 'Skip'. Pressing the 'Skip' button will go to the next lower vertical refresh rate or resolution.

Once CM has reached 800x600 at 60Hz, the next screen will be a DirectX error. The CMx1 series is unable to "loop around" back to the starting resolution and vertical refresh rate. The error is normal behavior and you just have to launch CM again to start the process over.

A preferences file will be saved out with your current resolution (and some of your 'experience' and 'fog of war' settings) once you have exited the game normally.

The CMx1 series only supported a discrete number of "standard" 4:3 ratio resolutions. There is no "widescreen" support of the 16:9/16:10 ratios. The maximum resolution is 1600x1200 and often you'll see other resolutions offered of 1280x1024, 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600. There are a couple of other resolutions that may get offered, but none of them should be the 'widescreen' resolutions that have become more common now.