SS Pz Gr Div Totenkopf March 1943

Hhmmm...According to Restayn 728 is a LSSAH Panzer - the sequence of shots that is taken from tie in with that. One image in the sequence shows the same panzer with Paul Close from LSSAH standing next to it. Looking at photos it would appear Totenkopf PzIV from 7th Company had white turret numbers whilst LSSAH appear to have had red turret numbers (or at least dark paint). Restayn in The Battle of Kharkov has a colour plate that shows a Panzer IV with a turret number of '712' painted in narrow white numbers with a slim black outline on a dunkel-gelb background. Sorry can't help with other PzIV turret numbers.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the poor size of the pics, they are bigger but the size is been limited here. Do you have any picture on "Pz IV totenkopf" from kharkov feb/mars 1943. I making a diorama of the third battle and I have a Pz IV. Or if you know any turrent number on a tank from that battle. Thanks for you quick response George.

The IV tank with "731" is totenkopf (Kampfgruppe Kunstmann) the men sitting on it refers to 3. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Totenkopf". So I maybe use that number if you dont have any better solution.

Have anyone a name of the tank-commander of 731? I can't find any information about that commander. I also got a pic that shows tanks on a train and there are 731, 732 on that train, is it desame tank as in Kharkov? another pic shows 731 in greece? No one has the name for the commander.

http://www.nazi.org.uk/military%20pdfs3/AfterTheBattle-TheFourBattlesForKharkov.pdf

In that there are pics of "731" on the street of Kharkov.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271116

Here they talk about it, but no name of the commander.