An observation

This thread belongs on the W&W forum but I know everybody is on this so forgive me for putting it here [maxium exposure:D.] I have been back playing W&W everyday for a week now and what I had considered an AI that was just adequate I must now stand corrected, outside of a few strange moves it generally plays very well. This is not being negative I mean that but I have a question about fog of war in this game. I dont want to use the word cheat but I cant come up with another word just yet, I wonder if the programmers give a slight edge to the AI computer in this game:confused:for example when I am the allies Rommel lands in North Africa with DAK and thats all right with me it is in the script, even though if I am the Axis I dont get Rommel there unless I send him at a cost to me. But what annoys me is when I have a Romanian unit in Bucharest nothing ever happens not even an attempted landing near Instanbul, but woe is me if I dont have a unit there for out of nowheres comes a Russian unit lands and moves into Bucharest and knocks the Romanians out of the war[not that they are so wonderful] It has happened several times, I then turned off FOW to see how this is possible and guess what no air or naval within 5 or 6 hexs for spotting purposes strange huh! The other annoyance is when the allied destroyers find my subs with apparent ease even early in the game when their spotting ability is nil. I understand sliding down a convoy line but when they go east or west and hit you dead on, WHAT! I personally dont care if you are helping the AI out a little but would you admit to it, the truth shall set you free gentlemen.:rolleyes: anybody else ever wonder about this little quirk of the AI.

Bo

Bo,

I have had that happen to me. and then once i moved the Italian unit out of Rome (i know that's dumb any way) and out of the blue an American unit lands in Rome and makes Italy surrender.

And me too, same with Rome, I love my computer and W&W but do you think the AI has roving eyes:D

Bo

In the new Global Conflict game, the AI will have a spotting advantage at higher difficulty settings. That's not the case with WAW and other current games. There may also be Intelligence tech in play, providing the AI some additional spotting.

There is some AI logic in there to help sub hunting, and since PDE I believe all players see the sub raiding icons to know generally where subs are hitting. It does make for some exciting encounters.

As for scripted events, players can always open up these script files and review for themselves what the AI is likely to be doing. You could also try playing some AI-AI games with the "F" keys (PDE and later versions) to help review what happens during a game.

This thread belongs on the W&W forum but I know everybody is on this so forgive me for putting it here [maxium exposure:D.] I have been back playing W&W everyday for a week now and what I had considered an AI that was just adequate I must now stand corrected, outside of a few strange moves it generally plays very well. This is not being negative I mean that but I have a question about fog of war in this game. I dont want to use the word cheat but I cant come up with another word just yet, I wonder if the programmers give a slight edge to the AI computer in this game:confused:for example when I am the allies Rommel lands in North Africa with DAK and thats all right with me it is in the script, even though if I am the Axis I dont get Rommel there unless I send him at a cost to me. But what annoys me is when I have a Romanian unit in Bucharest nothing ever happens not even an attempted landing near Instanbul, but woe is me if I dont have a unit there for out of nowheres comes a Russian unit lands and moves into Bucharest and knocks the Romanians out of the war[not that they are so wonderful] It has happened several times, I then turned off FOW to see how this is possible and guess what no air or naval within 5 or 6 hexs for spotting purposes strange huh! The other annoyance is when the allied destroyers find my subs with apparent ease even early in the game when their spotting ability is nil. I understand sliding down a convoy line but when they go east or west and hit you dead on, WHAT! I personally dont care if you are helping the AI out a little but would you admit to it, the truth shall set you free gentlemen.:rolleyes: anybody else ever wonder about this little quirk of the AI.

Bo

Hi Bo,

For Rommel this is a set of Axis AI scripts only as we previously tried to have the AI ship Rommel down there but too often he is intercepted or heavily damaged on the way, i.e. an Allied human player will always be better at blocking transports than an AI will be in getting transports across the Med, so to balance this out and to ensure that North Africa remains interesting for each game we simply scripted these unit arrivals each game for the Axis AI. Beyond that you are correct though that an Axis human player will have to do this themselves.

For the Soviet invasion of Bucharest and the US invasion of Rome these were just a few AI scripts thrown in there to keep the human player honest. Admittedly I could have made it more random though so it would not happen every game.

For the Destroyers the AI will aggressively hunt down raiders on the convoys, likely better than a human player would but as pzgndr suggests this is different for Global and PDE as the last known positions are now known to everyone so this won't seem like much of an advantage anymore for the newer releases.

Hope this helps,

Hubert