NOOB question on editing maps...

OK I take it the maps in the map folder are one of ze kind ? I was messing with mp map 01 and hit save by accident ( I'm use to having a "save as" function and renaming a map in a normal editor ) zo ze question is where can I get mp map 01 base game map without having to reinstall the game ?

*note to game makers..."save as" function for next editor with it making a new folder and map contents under the new "save as" name, map backup folder in case some one forgets to back them up first ( like me lol).

thanks in advance. ( some nice person can also email me it zipped if they were kind enough )

If it's a stock mission then you should be able to simply delete the contents of the map folder (or rename the folder.) & let the game extract the default map from the SFS archive files.

When I'm playing with maps I always copy & rename the folder before editing the copied map.

I have a quite similar problem :

I want to modify an existing map (I need to remove the bridge).

If i save the modification, it affects the original map.

So I need to change the name.

But if i change the name of the folder, I can't load the map with the editor (the map does not appear).

Is it possible ?

Sure "save as" would be something very appreciate...

You can copy the map.

Say as in your example you want to remove a bridge from map MYMAP. Firstly copy the entire map folder in the maps folder eg: copy MYMAP & rename copy to MYMAPPYWAPPY. When you open the editor simply make your edits to MYMAPPYWAPPY which will show up in the list. Voila! Easy!

If it's a stock mission then you should be able to simply delete the contents of the map folder (or rename the folder.) & let the game extract the default map from the SFS archive files.

When I'm playing with maps I always copy & rename the folder before editing the copied map.

cool thank ya kindly...

I have the french version.

Tartar sent me the file of sandormiez.

He has much more files than me !!! Especially an .ini file.

So I can load this map with the original name.

I can save it

I can change the name

I can see this new map with the map editor.

I can load this new map

But it crashes after 20%...

For me, it seems that the french version is not exactly the same than the english one.

Try to edit the file Theater of War/data/Settings/filesid.ini to add a line at the end with the path of the new map you want to create:

3990 maps/yourmap

something like the line above (note that the ID number at the beginning of the line will be different for you).

I remember having a problem with my new map not showing in the map editor until I added a line like this.

I hope it will solve your problem

-Knokke

I have not a "data" directory under the TOW directory.

I wonder if the french version if the same as the english one ?

I have succeed to load the map that you sent me, but with the load.ini file from a "clear_" map.

I can change the map.

I can save the map.

I can see the change in the mission editor

But when I try the mission with TOW, it crashs...

I have edited dozens of maps and this has occured for me on occasion as well.

To avoid it unpak the map file first using TOWextractor before touching it with the map editor. Go to the Tow/Maps directory and rename the folder, then open it with the map editor and do your stuff.

Yes its probably a name mismatch in one of the ini or binary files.

To avoid it unpak the map file first using TOWextractor before touching it with the map editor. Go to the Tow/Maps directory and rename the folder, then open it with the map editor and do your stuff.

Sound good to me.

Especially because it seems that I have not all files.

But where is the TOWextractor ?

I have not found any .exe that can be this :(

To Tartar :

I have made a new map from the clear_summer map.

Then I copied all files that you sent me in this folder.

Then I launched the game.

No crash :D

BUT there is no deformations and no minimap :mad:

But it progress...

And I have replaced the staticobject file by the one I have already done, and it works.

To Tartar :

I have made a new map from the clear_summer map.

Then I copied all files that you sent me in this folder.

Then I launched the game.

No crash :D

BUT there is no deformations and no minimap :mad:

But it progress...

And I have replaced the staticobject file by the one I have already done, and it works.

Ok, for the elevations, copy the Sandomierz's near_HF and far_HF .raw again and delete the quickload_HF.bin.

For the minimap, there was'nt any in my Sandomierz map.

Ok, for the elevations, copy the Sandomierz's near_HF and far_HF .raw again and delete the quickload_HF.bin.

For the minimap, there was'nt any in my Sandomierz map.

YES it works :)

Except for the minimap, but there is the image in the directory. Perhaps I can succeed to create the good one.

So it is not easy...

Hope there is something else for the futur. But for now, I can continue my mission with this modified map ;)

Thanks you

Of course, I can't open this file :confused:

I can open other tga files, for exemple, the image of the briefing.

But this image does not correspond...

So it works in the principle. Just have to find which image I can open :eek:

Another problem : now the file for the map is 68Mo !!!

A lot of "quickload.bin" files, a lot of TGR files, some RAW files...

Is there a way to compress them ? Or to suppress some files not necessary ?

Thanks you

Of course, I can't open this file :confused:

I can open other tga files, for exemple, the image of the briefing.

But this image does not correspond...

So it works in the principle. Just have to find which image I can open :eek:

Another problem : now the file for the map is 68Mo !!!

A lot of "quickload.bin" files, a lot of TGR files, some RAW files...

Is there a way to compress them ? Or to suppress some files not necessary ?

maybe you tried to open the minimap.MAT, because the minimap.tga is a normal TGA and not DDS.

A lot of the 68 MO are taken by quickload files, but you can delete them before uploading, maybe not all but at least the quickloadHF. :)

Is this a stock map?

If so it may well be that the maintex has not been extracted onto disk & is being pulled from the SFS archive. If you make a small change to the ground textue then it will be extracted to the map folder & you can then edit the image.