A few questions on tactics.

Askovdk

1: Does anyone have good leads on how to use the platoons under own command? I just finished the 'Cementary' mission in the campaign yesterday, but really didn't use the platoon.

After having taking out the enemy soldiers my self, I ordered the platoon to hold the cementary while I went for the spotters, - but this isn't really combined arms.

Anyway, - on my way back I found an enemy tank upside down. It was properly meant as an ambush, and I'm afraid, that its sorry condition was more due to poor AI driving skills than my foot soldiers. :)

2: AP or HEAT. When I play the gunner I start with AP, and when the enemy have stopped I switch to HEAT to kill the enemy, - this seems to work fine. Any comments?

3: In the demo I was quite surprised how effective AP-rounds was against the helicopter. At first I found this unrealistic, but then again, if the target computer can hit a moving tank from two reference points, why not a slow moving helicopter? Is it actually realistic?

(And no, these questions are not JUST to get a discussion going here at the T72-forum. :)

1: Due to the way how commanding your platoon and attached units is implemented in the game, assigning objectives to your friendly forces to hold etc. is actually a good tactic. In other words - K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)

2: Keep doing it if it works smile.gif I use HEAT on stationary or very slow moving targets since AP has a lower trajectory and I seem to be able to target moving units better with it. HEAT I believe should also provide you with a stronger punch (read: armor penetration), so it might be useful against some frontal armor where AP will only bounce off.

3: I think so, except that in real life, nobody would really waste an AP round on a helicopter I think. But I might be wrong. There are several professional tankers around here, maybe they can comment.

Thanks for keeping the forum alive with some more positive vibes smile.gif Contrary to rumors we're still plodding away behind the scenes to come up with a big patch as well as wrap up the multiplayer add-on...

Martin

Some real tanker please correct me if I am wrong, but what I read so far HEAT is normally used against APCs, i.e., soft-skinned targets - because HEAT simply does not have the punch AP (aka SABOT) has.

OTOH since SABOT rounds use kinetic energy only (they are basically sub-caliber arrow-like metal rods) from a certain distance on HEAT might be able to outperform them - friction in the air takes some of the energy. The effect of HEAT rounds does not deteriorate with distance - they are a shaped charge that explodes upon impact on target.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

As for "wasting rounds on helos", I think in real life every tanker will do his damnedest to get one of those things out of the air before it starts killing THEM - (attack) helos are just about the worst threat any tank has to fear. If you have to suspect the helo spotted you, better begin pumping metal into the air as long as you still can...

As far as infantry go. I try to keep them around me as much as possible. Nice for close support. Plus it just gives me a warm fuzzy thinking that they might keep those gall durned RPG gunners away.

As far as AP for anti-aircraft...whatever works. Although that AA gun on top works great too. The only thing is its hard to find anything with that sight. You have to use external view to get you in the general area.

Let me get my two cents in, in regards to AP or HEAT. From what I understand HEAT is more than enough for light armored or soft skin vehicles while AP is overkill and probably a waste. The AP round has a better chance of passing clean through an APC without damaging anything vital or killing anyone as opposed to the HEAT's high explosive content which does have a better chance of damging something vital or killing EVERYTHING inside.

Too late...looks like you started another discussion here.

Pucker, eh? ;)

• 2 months later...
The AP round has a better chance of passing clean through an APC without damaging anything vital or killing anyone as opposed to the HEAT's high explosive content which does have a better chance of damging something vital or killing EVERYTHING inside.
thats why i also belive that HEAT is mostly designed for thin skined vehicles.

HEAT has inherent "behind armor effects". AP hasnt.

AP has to produce its behind armor effects itself by penetrating thick armor wich leads to many hot metall pices going around inside the tank.

but at thin skined vehicles this effect is greatly reduced.

so HEAT is mostly the bmp/btr/stryker/luchs killer.

and killing a helo with a AP? no problem smile.gif when the round can penetrate armor it will pass through the helo. and no matter where it hits, it will do no god to the helo.

to hit a helo is another story...