Demo "Dog Fight" mission Hotfix

Moon

Here's a quick fix to get the Leo in the Dog Fight mission of the demo to fight back.

Choose and Download the following file:

T-72 Demo Mission Hotfix

Note: This version is *open ended* meaning the mission will not end once the enemy is destroyed allowing to explore at will.

Alternate T-72 Demo Mission Hotfix

Note: This version has a clear mission objective and will end once the enemy tank and crew are destroyed.

Extract the zip, and you will get two files: demo.ca and demo.pd. Move the demo.ca file into the CACHE folder of your installation directory (e.g. C:/Program Files/Battlefront/T-72/CACHE), and move the demo.pd file into the DATA/scripts folder (e.g. C:/Program Files/Battlefront/T-72/DATA/scripts).

If it's the correct location you should be prompted if you really want to overwrite the existing file(s). Confirm with a yes (of course feel free to make backup copies of the older files first).

That's all! Now in the Dog Fight mission, the Leo should be firing back and moving.

Don't expect too much, though - the demo mission has never been scripted to let the Leo do much more than, well, fire and move a little; the idea being to create a fairly static situation in which you get a VERY first taste of maneuvering as well as are able to practice several approaches one on one.

We'll release an updated demo at some point, also.

Martin

[ July 21, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Heh, I think I need to reset the AI experience level.

I had upped it to 70 (from it's original 5!) in the configuration program in the hopes that it would get the thing to move prior to the hotfix.

Now the Leo waxes me before my TC can even spot him. I'm glad I remembered that I'd changed that, otherwise I'd have been running around figuring out how ANYONE was able to come out on top ;)

Dogfight mission's a little more exciting now! smile.gif

Interesting thing about this game is that it should be possible to play missions from different perspectives - as driver, gunner, TC, for different challenges.

I got waxed by that Leopard about 4 times before I managed to beat it. About the third time I had gone like the clappers hard left and hidden behind some hills to the left of your starting position. I tried then to sneak into hull-down positions in different places to try to surprise the Leo. Not much luck. I ended up duelling with him at about 1500 metres, firing, quickly reversing, then trying to jockey and appear from a slightly different spot each time. I ended up running out of AT ammo!

It's fascinating tactically - the amount of smoke and dust thrown up by your own gun, enemy rounds hitting near you, as well as your shots impacting near the enemy and the dust and smoke of his gunfire makes for periods where you are waiting for the range to clear before anyone can fire. Those times are opportunities to quickly manoeuvre.

This first shot is from the hills to the left and shows a little of the muck that's in the air in these engagements.

demo01.jpg

I finally managed to hit the Leo on the move, while I was madly ordering the driver to zig-zag. I headed right of the road and tried to make unexpected changes of direction. I had a few glancing blows off the turret top, but my gunner managed to put a couple of shots onto the Leopard from about 900 metres and it was over.

demo02.jpg

When I got closer I found that the Leopard had its rear towards me - it looked like I caught it as it was trying to get more distance from me.

demo03.jpg

One thing I tried in one of my unsuccessful attempts was to fire smoke - only problem was I couldn't fire smoke from TC's position - is this something that could be provided in a patch? I'd really like to be able to order my gunner or driver to pop smoke in a gunfight.

Anyhow - great fun tonight with the fixed deflated bunch of garbage ;)

PS - sorry for the quality of the shots - I'm trying out Irfanview and messing with resizing and resampling.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

i have some questions:

Why do the range finder of the T-72 only work to a distance of 1500 meters?

The Leo shoots on me at a distance of 1600 meters!

So how should I hit him????

And the next thing is:

Between me an the Leo are trees so it is impossible that he can see me, but he shoots on me!

Ok, i try do beat him, but only on "normal" realism.

PS: I come frome Germany so my English isn´t the best!

I have searched on the Web,

the range finder worked up to a range of 4000 meters!

[ November 09, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Wothan ]

As long as you are using AP, you don't need your rangefinder. Just aim by eye. It's easy.

I'm so good at the demo, I could do it without thinking now.

F6

S

Hit 5 a few times to get moving

Hit 8 till I'm driving with him about 70 degrees to my left

X till the sight is lightest. I find it easier to see that way.

Wait till there are not trees between us.

Hit 7s till I'm pointing at him

1 To stop the tank to make my hits guarenteed.

Aim and fire a few AP by eye until he gets into rangefinder range. Then use that.

Keep checking the map until his icon goes black, then fire a singe HE at the tank to kill the crew.

To make the game harder, I often limit myself to using HE only.