'Army of One': US Army's newest attempt at maneuver warfare?

I really hate those new Army commercials. Whoever approved that marketing campaign deserves to be fired. Now the Marines, they had good commercials!

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933

Before reading my post, I know there's a couple of U.S. Army guys here and know that my point of view is from that of a Marine. Personally this new "Army of One" slogan/commercials gives the wrong identity to the Army. I can probably see the idea of a number of different individuals forming one united army but most young people will probably get the misconception that the individual(themselves) will be the "center of the universe" when they join up. You give up alot of personal freedom to serve in the military you "bite the bullet" for the team which even lends further to greater emphasis on the unit rather than your own self. Remember the term "suck it up soldier/Marine"? The "Be All You Can Be" slogan was waaay better than the new one.

As for our jarhead/Marine commercials I know it's biased, but I love them. Keep in mind that almost none of our commercials don't make promises about learning high tech jobs or anything like that. They don't openly advertise that a young person can become an avionics technician, mortarman, infantryman, air traffic controller(which we do offer), etc., only the challenge to become a Marine.

BTW this thread brought something that I've been overhearing about in the Army that someone in it can probably answer since I don't see you guys much over here. The whole Black Beret thing. I originally thought that they were only issued to units like the Airborne or other prestigous units but the powers that be want them to be issued to all soldiers. I thought that makes it less "special" since it no longer represents belonging to an elite formation. What are your thoughts about this? Sounds like the DoD hired some psychologist/sociologist schmooze to alter the Army's image...

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Actually, the black beret fiasco can be directly attributed to the Clinton regime. Some old family friends' of Bubba's are already tooling up their Arkansas textile factory for production. Hmmmmm, graft anybody?

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 02-08-2001).]

Aaahhh... the 'ol Commander in Chief? The same guy who pardoned lots of criminals the last two days of his presidency? Which also happened to include his brother (or some close relative)? The guy who had his staff leave a mess for G.W. Bush's staff to clean up/fix upon their arrival to the White House? For goodness' sake, they removed all the W keys from all the computers. What kind of former president is that?!?

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Well, in all fairness, that's actually pretty normal. Every former White House staff has left "surprises" for the next guys, it's just part of the initiation process.

I don't like Bush, Gore was pretty nasty himself, Clinton was a hippy dope-smoking draft dodger...

Man, there just aren't any "good" guys left!

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

------------------

"If you find yourself alone, riding through green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD!"

Guest MantaRay

Why the big deal about the berets being the same color. I didnt join AB to wear a friggen cover, nor would I care if everyone had the same one.

What the big deal is to me is the fact that with already shiity morale, now people have just another reason to bitch. Soon we will stop fighting for democracy in order to make sure everyone has a differnt colored hat.

Light Infantry, Dont Ask Dont Tell, and Different colored covers....thats how we win wars these days.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Guest MantaRay

And the commercials will come back to bite them on their ass when they go to their first post and think they are an army of one. Maybe they will love KP duty....now that is all I can think of that comes close to being an Army of one LOL.

Ray

I am a supply sergeant for Military Intelligence Company and have already ordered everyone's berets to be issued in April. The mixed emotions about the beret is heavy throughout the army. Forever and a day the black beret represented a challenging military aspect that only the best could achieve. The whole black beret stood out as their symbol and for the military to take their symbol and give it to ever tom, dick, and harry is completely wrong and against all historical aspects the military offers. The military is based on history and breeds that mentality throughout, yet here it is taking one of the more prestigious (spelling?) visible aspects of a unit and handing it out like candy. There are plenty of other colors that could have been used. . .This is only a personal opinion on the issue - but listening at the table proves my thoughts on the subject.

Just my .02 as a former U.S. Army Scout- this "Army of One" junk is just that- Junk. It totally misrepresents everything that makes an army function. Sure, individual initiative has it's place and has always been an important component of the U.S Army, but this new-age "me" generation touchy-feely mess has got to go.

Only thing I can add to the black beret thing is that some cavalry units did wear black berets back in the late 70's and early 80's (I guess in keeping with European armor forces) but were then unauthorized for wear to all but ranger units.

------------------

"Well, I will show you that before I was a marshal I was a grenadier, and I am still one." Marshal Jean Lannes, Ratisbon, 1809.

Guest Mikey D

Isn't the 'Army of One' campaign sorta counter-intuitive? The last thing you want to remind a possible recruit is how lonely it can get in the middle of a battle field.

As to Bubba's last days:

A president should only pardon people who deserve it, like... say... Bush Senior pardoning Sec of Defense Casper Weinberger to keep him from turning 'state's evidence' on him re profiting from arms sales to terrorist states.

I work in an advertising agency, (not the one that did the ads) and there has been some talk here about the new army ads.

Im not crazy about the new Army of One campaign either, but I guess you guys know that army recruitement is incredibly low, and that what is even worse, many experienced people who are in the army now are not extending their enlistment.

Upshot: there are fewer people coming in, and lots of experienced folks leaving. As I recall, reasons for this include cite low unit morale, lousy pay and (ka-ching) better paying civilian jobs.

So, while I don't really have an opinion either way on the ads, its pretty clear that the recruitment folks had to do SOMETHING, and I guess they and their agency (Luminant Worldwide) decided that to reach the younger folks right now, they needed to position the army as a place where the individual mattered.

A lot of psychographic research says that people in the 18-22 year old range feel more strongly about their "individuality." So I guess that's what the Army is taking note of.

Personally, I have no idea how accurate their assessment of the 18-22 year old group is, and no idea how successful the new campaign will be.

That guy running in the desert sure does look tough, though.

Guest Madmatt

This is a perfect topic for the General Forum. Please take it there, well actually you don't have a choice as I am locking it up.

Madmatt

The REAL Army of one...