Calling all Voodoo 5 5500 owners!

I just joined your exclusive club today - yep, just got hold of a Voodoo 5500. It installed ok but I have to have 2xFSAA or 4xFSAA enabled to avoid having blanked out text (ie names of areas on the map etc) Has anyone else seen this? Finally, after having CM on for 15-20 mins I`m finding I get severe eye strain (I didn`t before with my TnT2) - I have the correct monitor chosen in adaptor properties, have 85Mhz selected for refresh rate but it still hurts like hell. Anyone else had this too?

The drivers i`m using are the latest ones from 3dfx for Direct X 7.

Pls help if you can...Thanks

The FSAA bug is a known one since the demo days. AFAIK there is no fix for it yet.

Though I don't know why your monitor is flickering that bad. With FSAA disabled CM runs just fine on my Voodoo.

------------------

Rührt euch!

CMPFCICM2 - Combat Mission Players for Campaigns in Combat Mission 2 - Join us! ;D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesreidau:

I just joined your exclusive club today - yep, just got hold of a Voodoo 5500. It installed ok but I have to have 2xFSAA or 4xFSAA enabled to avoid having blanked out text (ie names of areas on the map etc) Has anyone else seen this? Finally, after having CM on for 15-20 mins I`m finding I get severe eye strain (I didn`t before with my TnT2) - I have the correct monitor chosen in adaptor properties, have 85Mhz selected for refresh rate but it still hurts like hell. Anyone else had this too?

The drivers i`m using are the latest ones from 3dfx for Direct X 7.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't seen that with mine, though I've had problems with DirectX 7 (nothing similar to that and not with Combat Mission). Though they were fixed when I installed DirectX 8.

So my first suggestion would be getting that.

Just checked from Advanced properties from my own computers Display Properties and had Direct3D and OpenGL/GLIDE both set to Fastest Performance in 3dfx Anti-Aliasing. And the game seemed to run fine with those and 2X and 4X settings as well. In adapter page my Refresh rate was set to Optimal and it does look very nice (no flickering etc.)

Also there are some settings for AGP in BIOS, dont ask me what though.. My memory ain't that good smile.gif

-- MS. --

One anomoly I have noticed with both my old V3-3000 and my V5-5500 is that the texture buffer will eventually get filled up (memory leaks), leading to rapid and progressive white-out of textures until the whole screen goes white as texture memory is completely expended. Restarting the game will fix, but a reboot is necessary to completely clear the memory. Note that this only happens with huge battles, complex maps, etc. The V5500 will only show it after hours of play on a complex map using all hi-res mod textures.

As far as I strain, I dunno. Mine seems fine. IMHO the only reason to buy a V-5500 is the anti-aliasing ability which dramatically improves the graphic quality in CM. For g.p. gaming i'll soon be switching to nvidia gforce or NV10 if that comes out.

Ren

Shatter here

Just got my Voodoo 5500 about a month ago.

My 5500 will play CM with all the setting on or off. As for the flickering, I am not really sure. Try contacting support(may take a day or two, they E-mailed back to me the next day). The Fickering sounds like a bad Card to me. I have seen 4 different 5500's (AGP & PCI in friends PC,and have never seen the problem you have.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 01-01-2001).]

My Voodoo 5500 runs CM beautifully at 1024 x 768, 85hz, and 4x FSAA with a PIII 600 and 128 RAM. With 4x FSAA, there are no jaggies or picture problems at all. Highly recommended and the reason I bought the Voodoo over the Nvidia cards that I had before.

Try setting the Level of Detail Bias to maximum if you have the horsepower. It gives the card its best quality picture at the expense of taking more resources. Since CM doesn't demand much power for fast frame rates, I set LOD to the maximum picture quality, which is the minus 2 setting.

In your video properties software, go to advanced settings, then advanced 3dfx features, then click DirectX and look for the Level of Detail setting. Click on it and a little box will appear that you can adjust. Set it to negative 2, that is -2 for best quality. This feature isn't highlighted by 3dfx, but is important for picture quality.

BTW, I've never seen the white-out text problem, which sounds like a corrupted driver install or the like. If it continues, you may need to totally delete the drivers by switching to Windows standard drivers, and then reinstall the Voodoo drivers.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Lawyer (edited 12-31-2000).]

Make sure under the 3dfx hub/3dfx advanced features you have 2x (or 4x based on your board) agp selected -the standard setting is only 1x - so if you havent changed this since you installed the board you are only getting 1/2 half the power (or 1/4th)

Eric