CMSF2 Main Campaign First Mission Mines

12 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Your breach teams act like engineers. They can 'mark mines', which becomes possible after someone detects a mine. Good way or bad way ;-). Use engineers with move/slow and pauses to detect mines.

Thank you. Now I can find the mines with my breach team. I see a red sign. When I let them Mark Mines the sign turns yellow but when I pass the spot with the yellow sign some mines do detonate? Is there a way to get a green sign? Or is it intended that you can not spot all mines?

Mines are tough. "Mark mines" doesn't remove them, it's representing the engineers marking out safe lanes through the field with tape or flags.

In game terms, it seems like there's a die roll, basically, and marked mines makes them less likely to trigger, but it's still possible. Speed of movement does affect this.

HE rounds can destroy mines eventually, if I recall correctly, but it's not easy or efficient. I've no idea if the mass of the unit will affect the chances of the mines going off. Abrams are really heavy.

OK so suppose your opponent has some AT mines on a bridge, and by good fortune you detect them before your first vehicle goes up in flames. Thing is though this bridge is the only way to move to your objectives and complete the mission. Send a vehicle over (necessary for the upcoming battle) and it blows up, blocking the bridge. Don't send a vehicle over and you can't finish the battle. Checkmate situation??

20 minutes ago, pintere said:

OK so suppose your opponent has some AT mines on a bridge, and by good fortune you detect them before your first vehicle goes up in flames. Thing is though this bridge is the only way to move to your objectives and complete the mission. Send a vehicle over (necessary for the upcoming battle) and it blows up, blocking the bridge. Don't send a vehicle over and you can't finish the battle. Checkmate situation??

A vehicle will not completely block the bridge.  The "pushing a vehicle out of the way" ability is abstracted in CM2 (I think there was an actual command for it in CM1).  What will happen is the second vehicle may kind of "dance" around the first knocked out vehicle turning its side armor to the OpFor, taking extra time to cross etc.  But it can cross.  It can also hit another AT mine.  I've also had a cook off from a burning vehicle take out a second vehicle that was close to it. 

Scenario designers generally won't completely block your ability to get into the fight.  If the bridge is blocked by mines there may be a ford.  If you are playing a Quick Battle PBEM and the house rules did not prohibit the blocking of the only water crossing with AT mines then this might be the case.  Good news is your infantry can still cross if it is an AT only minefield.  If it is a mixed minefield then it will need to be Marked for infantry to make an infantry crossing. 

First I would look for a ford.  If no ford I would obscure the bridge area with smoke, Mark Mines, send infantry across the bridge, and then maybe try to push vehicles across if I thought I had more vehicles than AT mines.  IIRC there are 2-3 AT mines in an AT only minefield 8x8 action spot.

I hope this is just a theoretical question and you don't actually have to try this in a PBEM.......... :D :lol:       

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

@DeutschRitter also a marked minefield is only useful for troops on foot.  My SOP is to Slow troops through a marked minefield.  Marking a minefield is of no use to vehicles.  You can't drive a vehicle through a marked minefield.  

I have finished the first mission now without crossing the AT minefield with my vehicles without any losses :) Before I had tried everything, trying blowing it with HE after marked, mortar round, etc but I have always lost one or two vehicles so I deceidet to build a base of fire on the dam and bomb the **** out of the enemy with artillery :D and moving my Infantry in at the end to clear out the rest.

18 hours ago, DeutschRitter said:

Thank you. Now I can find the mines with my breach team. I see a red sign. When I let them Mark Mines the sign turns yellow but when I pass the spot with the yellow sign some mines do detonate? Is there a way to get a green sign? Or is it intended that you can not spot all mines?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, I think a properly marked minefield, when completed by your team, is tagged with a green placard, yellow might indicate the job is halfway done and there are still mines in that field that need to be marked. When the minefield is properly tagged your engineers "Mark Mines" selection will be greyed out. If they are just laying about and doing nothing (the engineers) check the "Mark Mines" selection box ,if it's greyed out, then there are no more "KNOWN" mines in that area. However, if they are laying about and the "Mark Mines" selection box is still available then your team may have become interrupted and stopped marking them or possibly they have stumbled upon an adjacent minefield and they are awaiting your orders to "Mark Mines" again.

1 minute ago, Ch53dVet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, I think a properly marked minefield, when completed by your team, is tagged with a green placard, yellow might indicate the job is halfway done and there are still mines in that field that need to be marked. When the minefield is properly tagged your engineers "Mark Mines" selection will be greyed out. If they are just laying about and doing nothing (the engineers) check the "Mark Mines" selection box ,if it's greyed out, then there are no more "KNOWN" mines in that area. However, if they are laying about and the "Mark Mines" selection box is still available then your team may have become interrupted and stopped marking them or possibly they have stumbled upon an adjacent minefield and they are awaiting your orders to "Mark Mines" again.

I had the same thought but I wasnt able to get it green. The mark mines option was greyed out and nothing happened. I saved the game and skipped some rounds but nothing happened. They stayed yellow.

24 minutes ago, Ch53dVet said:

If they are just laying about and doing nothing (the engineers) check the "Mark Mines" selection box ,if it's greyed out, then there are no more "KNOWN" mines in that area. 

This is also a good indicator that the known minefield is marked. 

22 minutes ago, DeutschRitter said:

I had the same thought but I wasnt able to get it green. The mark mines option was greyed out and nothing happened. I saved the game and skipped some rounds but nothing happened. They stayed yellow.

Red sign with skull & crossbones = Active unmarked minefield

Off white sign (yellow in CMBS) with skull & crossbones =  A marked minefield

Green sign with a white X = Neutralized minefield (all mines detonated) 

IIRC for artillery to detonate a minefield it has to be 150mm or greater.