help? new user

quakerparrot67

hi- new here and trying to get playing, very in-techie so I hope you all will bear with me.

just bought cmbn and a new machine to play (as well as other general internet stuff.  the pc is a hp pavilion 590-p0024.   I had shown the clerk (best buy) the recommended game  specs and  he showed me the specs on the machine  and where they matched up. got game downloaded and installed, but when tried to play it said it had stopped working and that windows was searching for a solution and then it closed cmbn.  really wanting to play this game and don't know how to  figure out what to do.  anyone?

cheers,

rob

3 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Welcome to the forum. Too bad you have issues with the game. So, it doesn't start at all? In that case try turning off the "HP Audio Switch" program that it seems like it was shipped with. Even better make it "inactive" in the autostart menue. 

thanks-  so, where would I find that?  in programs? (told you I was not techie, lol) why would that interfere?  (just curious.)  

cheers,

rob

There have been a few people, myself included, that have had issues with sound support programs - so that was my best guess.

It is probably in the list of programs which you can access from the Windows Start Menue (probably under "H" and a folder HP or something like it). Or press control-alt-delete and access the activity manager and under the autostart tab locate the program and put it on "inactive".

Uninstall will delete it completely. But you can probably download it again. I have a habit of almost always uninstalling programs that came bundled with the PC. Just eat up CPU power.

Edited by rocketman

I believe that if you didn't activate the game properly that it would show you the activation window again when you launch CMBN. Outside of deleting your activation (with an utility that be requested from the Helpdesk) there isn't a way to get the activation window to come back up again. Uninstalling that game does NOT get rid of the activation.

Do you have any security/anti-virus software installed (there may be a default installation of something from HP... that may only work for a month or three) ? McAfee might be a likely possibility. If you do have security software, then you may need to add an 'exception' within it so that it doesn't interfere with CMBN (listing either the main game directory or possibly the game executable).

The 'audio software' is a problem seen with a few programs that manage the audio, specifically Nahmic Audio and another one I can't quite recall. Even with these uninstalled your sound should still work (since they aren't drivers themselves). I don't know if the HP Audio is a similar program or not.

If necessary you can also launch the game by right-clicking and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu (I believe that's still part of Windows 10).

I wouldn't think that it would be necessary, but you could possibly upgrade your video driver and see if that makes a difference. Your HP Pavilion 590-P0024  has a Ryzen 3 2200G that has a 'Radeon Vega' built-into it. Here's the latest driver for Windows 10 64-bit:

Adrenalin 18.9.1     (click on the '+' next to the 'Windows 10 64-bit' to have it open up and show the download options)

Generally I wouldn't assume that the error you're seeing would be related to the video driver, but it is a possibility.

There is the possibility, similar to the audio program, of something interfering with the running of the game. This is where you may need to bring up the 'Task Manager' and look for programs/utilities running in the background. Most of them should be fine, but there may be one that is causing a problem with CMBN.