Russian bedroll grogs & marvelous GPW frontovik resource

Yes, there are such things, and here is the exegesis on that most important frontovik topic. As BFC continues to release GPW titles and Modules, this will be a must on getting the gear right, for as you'll learn, the shapka (bedroll, but really a folded greatcoat) was essential.

http://militaryanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/09/bedroll.html

The source of the info was this GPW Red Army re-enactor site, which has a superabundance of material on the Russian soldier of the GPW, with tons of photos (many color of period artifacts), drawings, charts, tables, etc. This is lose your mind grade material. Not kidding! Or do you already know how to do your foot wrapping, something I believe the Red Army does to this day? Based on spot reading, I'd say those Red Army shows from Star Media I've raved about are really accurate, though I HAVE seen guys running around without their shapkas.

https://www.13thguardspoltavaskaya.com

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

benpark,

Read a great story a long time ago about a woman who moved to your neck of the woods and was absolutely baffled when someone would talk about a "nominal egg." Took her some time to learn it was the highly regional pronunciation of "an arm and a leg." Though I can't recall any examples because I'm exhausted, southern lingo has some real bafflers, too. An enterprising and amusing fellow wrote a decryption guide for the benefit of you Yankees. By the way, I love your screwdriver. Absolutely fascinated and delighted me as a kid. Power tools are fast and efficient, but they lack the charm of the Yankee screwdriver, the brace and bit, spokeshave and other such marvels.

Regards,

John Kettler