Install Problem - Graphics

You may want to run the DirectX 9.0c webinstaller and see if that helps (or possibly the Redistributable version if the webinstaller doesn't think it needs to install anything). CMBB and the other CM1 series titles are actually DirectX 5-7 type titles and I"m not sure if the DirectX 9.0c installer will add any DLL files that CM may use. This DirectX 9.0c install does NOT downgrade you, but simply provide a few DLLs that Microsoft may not have included with Windows 10.

Do you know what graphics chip your ZenBook has and/or which specific model of ZenBook you have ? Some ZenBooks have Nvidia video chips in them and possibly switching to that may get the game to recognize the 3D graphics. Intel integrated video should also work, but perhaps there is a driver issue here.

I would believe that the games should run on the Intel HD Graphics 620. While the newer CM2 series of games may have problems with Intel graphics, the older DirectX based CM1 series should generally be fine with it.

I don't know if your Asus Zenbook can use the Intel provided drivers, but here are the latest ones for the HD Graphics 620:

Intel HD Graphics driver for 7th Generation CPUs, Windows 10 64-bit

If these refuse to install (which may be very likely), then check the Asus Support site to see if there is a newer driver for your particular ZenBook model. To be honest it is a bit rare for most laptop vendors to offer updated video drivers (and ironically you often can use the video chip manufacturer's drivers either).

I'd also suggest downloading and running the installer for DirectX 9.0c linked in my post above. It MAY provide some missing DLLs that could be used by CM1 games.

Also, I suggest running the games by right-clicking and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu. I don't know if setting a 'compatibility mode' setting of 'Windows XP Service Pack 3 or 2' would also help. This would be accessible by right-clicking on the CM launching icon and selecting 'Properties' from the popup menu. Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and in here you will find settings for 'compatibility mode', 'privilege level' and others. You may want to experiment with the setting of 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.

What version of CMBB are you trying to play ? Is it 1.03 or 1.04 (the 'vista patch') ? If it is 1.03, is this a eLicense version or a disc-protected version (pre-2006 purchase) ?

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Hi:

I have a Zenbook UX33OUA and I have 1.04. DLL stuff did not seem to work. but I just tested one compatibility option (Vista) and it worked. But low resolution choices (800 x 600 I think). Plus incredibly slow. What could be making the performance so poor at low resolution.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the resolution selection process should offer resolutions higher than 800 x 600 (which is the minimum for CMBB and CMAK). Generally the process starts at the highest resolution that both CM and your display supports. Most of the time this may be a 1600 x 1200 resolution (there is one, much higher resolution, but it is rare that someone has a monitor that supports it). The resolutions are generally 4:3 type ratios; no true widescreen resolutions are supported. Initially a high refresh rate may be tried that may not be visible on your display (or come up as a scrambled screen or what may look like two displays overlapping - old TV-like issues in appearance). The refresh rate that is tried may be up to the display driver. With an internal laptop display I don't know how high of a refresh rate may be tried. Sometimes this may start at 160Hz and the go down from there. Once a resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate is tried and not selected, then the next offered resolution will be the next step lower, but at the highest refresh rate offered and work down from there. Once you reach 800 x 600 at 60Hz and you don't select it, an error is generated (rather than starting over). You just have to restart CM again in order to go through the resolution selection process again. If you've selected a resolution already, but want to try another one, then simply delete the 'preferences' file in the CM directory (if the game is installed in the 'Program Files (x86)' directory, then the file may be hidden in a 'virtual redirect' directory - along with any saved games, etc.).

I just tried CMBB 1.04 with a Windows 10 installation using a GeForce GTX 770 running a monitor at 1920 x 1200. In this case the first offered resolution was 1600 x 1200 (I forget the refresh rate). This would be the maximum resolution that both CMBB and my monitor/video card supported. The only thing I needed to do was launch it with the 'Run as administrator' option to get it to launch.

In the case of your Asus Zenbook UX330UA, Asus mentions that the display resolution is 3200 x 1800. If that is what you're really running at, then there is a resolution higher than 1600 x 1200 that you may get offered. I believe (but I can't recall accurately) that the maximum resolution offered may be 2048 x 1536 (QXGA). This is probably what CMBB should offer as the first resolution. When 800 x 600 is offered to you, does it come up pretty quick or does it take awhile before you see this resolution ? If it comes up pretty quick (soon after launching CM), then it is possible that CM is not recognizing the display properties very well and is offering the lowest resolution that it supports. If it takes awhile, then it is possible that other resolutions are being offered, but for some reason aren't being seen to allow for selection (I assume that this IS NOT what you are experiencing).

If only 800 x 600 is being offered then you may want to see if there are any newer drivers that MIGHT help with this.

Asus Zenbook UX330UA downloads

You'll need to select your particular model (the generic 'UX330UA' may work) and your OS (Windows 10 64-bit). You'll probably have to check to see what  your current video driver is and what your BIOS version is. If this is a recent purchase, then these may already be up-to-date. As I mentioned (and linked to) earlier the Intel-provided video driver likely will not work, but you can download and attempt to install it just in case (you'll typically get a message that the device is not recognized or 'OEM' and that the driver is not compatible and can't be installed).

Looking at the documentation for the ZenBook I see options in the BIOS (but the manual doesn't show them all and describe them). In the BIOS/UEFI setup go to 'Advanced' and in here go to 'Graphics Configuration'. In here you MIGHT be able to specify more dedicated memory to the graphics (which MIGHT help CMBB).

1 hour ago, GerryCMBB said:

Can you remind me how to access  the license program/site so I can free up one install. Thanks.

Ignore this as I figured it out.

I installed it on the Surface Pro 3 + Windows 10, set to XP SP3 Compatibility, and got 1024 x 768 resolution. Good as I can see more of the map as compared to 800x600. BUT the terrain seems very power quality. The Open Ground terrain looks really poor. Any idea why this might me?

(Didn't do anything with DLLs on this computer).

What are you comparing the 'open ground' terrain bitmaps to ? Here's a Youtube video of a CMBB game and I assume your terrain looks much like this ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXnWeyqdQQ

CM1 series games generally stretched out bitmaps for the ground and were often of lower quality. I'm not certain how much better they may look with mods of higher resolution replacements (and the performance effect they may have).

Both your Asus ZenBook and the MS Surface Pro 3 utilize Intel video (CPU integrated), but of different generations. I don't have any machines that are running 3rd Generation or higher Intel integrated video and Windows 10, so I don't have the exact environment to compare. I might have one I can setup next week with an i3 3rd generation and see what kind of results I get with it (though it is an earlier generation compared to what you have with the MS Surface Pro 3).

6 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

What are you comparing the 'open ground' terrain bitmaps to ? Here's a Youtube video of a CMBB game and I assume your terrain looks much like this ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXnWeyqdQQ

CM1 series games generally stretched out bitmaps for the ground and were often of lower quality. I'm not certain how much better they may look with mods of higher resolution replacements (and the performance effect they may have).

Both your Asus ZenBook and the MS Surface Pro 3 utilize Intel video (CPU integrated), but of different generations. I don't have any machines that are running 3rd Generation or higher Intel integrated video and Windows 10, so I don't have the exact environment to compare. I might have one I can setup next week with an i3 3rd generation and see what kind of results I get with it (though it is an earlier generation compared to what you have with the MS Surface Pro 3).

Thanks. Maybe mine doesn't look so bad then. I will try and add the terrain mod that I have on my Windows 7 computer. So please don't go setting up a test for me. I will play around with it. Thanks again.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v. 1709 installed on an Acer desktop with a Pentium G2020 CPU (Ivy Bridge based CPU - 3rd generation Core). The Intel HD Graphics on this unit can utilize the latest Intel driver (Intel's version number:  15.33.45.4653, dated 5/23/2017). Installing CMBB 1.04 and activating has worked fine on this machine. It only required 'Run as administrator' and the Alt-Tab out of the 3D screen and re-maximizing the game for it to run properly at full speed. This was running a 1280 x 1024 screen (which was the initial offered resolution too).

• 3 months later...

The CMx1 series does not display widescreen resolutions. It is only hard-coded for standard 4:3 aspect ratio type resolutions. Is your resolution 1366 x 768 ? If so, then the second, vertical resolution will be the limiting factor. The resolution selection process will likely start at 1024 x 768 as the maximum. I can't remember if there are some odd resolutions above that that might be supported (such as the 1366 x 768).