The Many Skill Levels Of Soldiers

On 26/08/2017 at 5:46 PM, Erwin said:

"...veterans would be less likely to throw themselves at fortified beaches, they new better and new how to survive, thats why green troops were the first wave, more piss and vinegar and willing to take more risks."

You can verify that, Doc???

The counter argument would be that the shock would paralyze Green troops who would be more likely to panic and be useless.

Well for me that is my understanding of how the planners set up the Orbat for D-day, im offshore just now so cant put my hand on the book but will dig it/them out when i get home,  also what Slim said is what i was getting at.  As for green troops, well ok green maybe but very well trained to a high standard and high morale, so combat paralysis and panic on a large scale, no.  A limited number would be like that but they would be very few, shock and the fear tend to come later once the adrenaline wears off and the mind starts replaying stuff like close shaves and friends being killed thats when it gets you and thats why the next time is always that bit harder.  Hence shell shock, when the mind shuts itself down to protect itself because it is overloaded, most sufferers of shell shock just need time away from combat to allow their brains time to process everything.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic