Radios and Soviet Tanks.

Champagne

I recall reading that before the Summer of 1943, only the platoon leader had a radio in his tank. The remainder of the Soviet tanks had to keep eye contact with and follow the platoon leader's tank. In the summer of 1941, some Soviet tank platoon leaders used a flag to signal commands to his platoon.

I would really like to see 1941 through 1943 covered by Combat Mission, but, how could the game designers replicate the period of war in which only the Soviet tank platoon leader had a radio?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Champagne said:

<Snip> how could the game designers replicate the period of war in which only the Soviet tank platoon leader had a radio?  

Many vehicles in the game now don't have radios so it would be the same for the early Soviet tanks.  They would need to be in voice, close visual or distant visual of the platoon HQ tank to be in C2.  Maybe more open hatches and even more TC casualties?  I would not expect BFC to code signal flags however.  That would probably just be handled by the current distant visual C2.

Champagne,

The command and communication links are modeled very well in the game. If you use "Alt-Z", it will toggle Command Lines. The manual discusses them. Units out of command do not gain the benefits of the commander's stats. Communication is shown in the UI panel. Units out of comm will not get information about the enemy (or friendly) locations. This affects morale and ability to target.

MOS, wasn't it you that did that awesome test (with pictures :) ) about how contact information gets disseminated up the chain? Gotta find a link...

Ken