Compiling and existing opened stock campaign

I recently open  the stock Training Campaign in CM: Normandy using CMBN_Scenario_Organiser_v0.22 downloaded from the repository. Also played around building CAM scripts.

Correct me I'm wrong-I CANNOT recompile and opened campaigned using the aforentioned utility using the CM Editor because Scenarios in already made campaigns are considered 'baked'. I can adjust time, forces and such in the scenarios but I CANNOT Re-compile them again. I can only do that with new scenarios? Correct?

I recently open  the stock Training Campaign in CM: Normandy using CMBN_Scenario_Organiser_v0.22 downloaded from the repository. Also played around building CAM scripts.

Correct me I'm wrong-I CANNOT recompile and opened campaigned using the aforentioned utility using the CM Editor because Scenarios in already made campaigns are considered 'baked'. I can adjust time, forces and such in the scenarios but I CANNOT Re-compile them again. I can only do that with new scenarios? Correct?

No idea about that scenario organizer tool, but for the purpose this one would do and at least worth to try:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=229

I just decompiled the training campaign. 3 training missions and changed the time. I wanted to see how the utility work, if I could do a simple edit (time modification) and then recompile. Then try more complicated campaigns and edits later. Baby steps.

I kept getting error messages but figured out the syntax error in the CAM file. I Used the example of the CAM file in the manual only using the name of the scenario instead of "My Little Battle."

The base scenario was the first scenario regarding movement Devon - Basic Training #00.btt

I just decompiled the training campaign. 3 training missions and changed the time. I wanted to see how the utility work, if I could do a simple edit (time modification) and then recompile. Then try more complicated campaigns and edits later. Baby steps.

I kept getting error messages but figured out the syntax error in the CAM file. I Used the example of the CAM file in the manual only using the name of the scenario instead of "My Little Battle."

The base scenario was the first scenario regarding movement Devon - Basic Training #00.btt

Hey kohlenklau.:lol: I've seen your work and you took it further then I ever could.

I lurk here more then I post.

So many games -so little time-BattleFront, and a bunch of other brands (indies and STEAM) who will remain nameless.  Just eat into my time now. Messing with campaigns CM and mess around with the Black Sea Demo (I like). Hope you are on the road to Wellville!!!

Hi Tempestzzzz,

as the creator of the tool you're using, some comments and (hopefully) help.

First of all, I would urge you to not use the CMBN_Scenario_Organiser_v0.22 any more. It is quite ancient by now (released 2011) and has been superseded by CMx2 ScAnCaDe. RockinHarry has already provided a download link to the last version of ScAnCaDe, which also works pretty much in the same way as the previous Scenario Organiser.

Secondly, it is entirely possible to re-compile campaigns, it just requires a little bit of extra work. You already found out about having to rewrite the campaign script. It shouldn't be too difficult since basically ScAnCaDe provides all the required info in a different format.
What ScAnCaDe does not provide is the Core unit file used to originally compile the campaign. This means that the original campaign briefing will be missing from the recompiled campaign, since this would be included in the Core unit file. I think you can take a copy of any scenario file of a campaign and just use it as the core unit file. This will not necessarily give you all the core units, but it should be good enough if you don't want to change the troops too much.

Out of interest, I did decompile the Devon - Basic Training campaign. This gave me the following three scenario files (using CMx2 ScAnCaDe v1.8):

• Devon - Basic Training #00_Bn Cmpn 01 Out on Patrol.btt
  • Devon - Basic Training #01_Bn Cmpn 02 Firing Range.btt
  • Devon - Basic Training #02_Bn Cmpn 03 Battle Drill.btt

I then renamed those files as follows, since there could be problems with the "#" or "_" characters in the filenames:

• Bn Cmpn 01 Out on Patrol.btt
  • Bn Cmpn 02 Firing Range.btt
  • Bn Cmpn 03 Battle Drill.btt

I then copied the first file and renamed it Devon Core.btt, which represents the core unit file.

Then I used the following script:

/* Campaign Header*/
[PLAYER FORCE] blue
[HUMAN OPPONENT ALLOWED] no
[BLUE VICTORY TEXT] You won!
[BLUE DEFEAT TEXT] You lost!
[RED VICTORY TEXT] You won!
[RED DEFEAT TEXT] You lost!
/*Battle #1*/
[BATTLE NAME] Bn Cmpn 01 Out on Patrol
[WIN THRESHOLD] draw
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Bn Cmpn 02 Firing Range
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE] Bn Cmpn 02 Firing Range
[BLUE REFIT %] 0
[BLUE REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 0
[BLUE REST %] 0
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 0
[RED REST %] 0
/*Battle #2*/
[BATTLE NAME] Bn Cmpn 02 Firing Range
[WIN THRESHOLD] draw
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Bn Cmpn 03 Battle Drill
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE] Bn Cmpn 03 Battle Drill
[BLUE REFIT %] 0
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 0
[BLUE REST %] 0
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 0
[RED REST %] 0
/*Battle #3*/
[BATTLE NAME] Bn Cmpn 03 Battle Drill
[WIN THRESHOLD] draw
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] 
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE] 
[BLUE REFIT %] 0
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 0
[BLUE REST %] 0
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 0
[RED REST %] 0

Then using the scenario editor (in CMBN v3.11), I could create a campaign file, which after decompiling showed the exact same structure as the original campaign file.

I hope this helps, campaign compilation is sometimes not so easy due to the minimalist feedback you receive as a user.

Cheers,

Mike

Hm...the interesting thing about the Devon training campaign is that there´s no use made of the "core" file (or core units) feature, which could be of concern when re-compiling a campaign that has it. I´d i.e checked the files from Courage and Fortitude campaign which has partly different "core" formations in the various single scenarios, so it seems one needs to follow the approach figuring out which of the scenarios has all core troops in use and then saving that particular scenario as the core troops file. In case there´s no scenario which has all of the core formations that are used in the whole campaign included (cause one or another scenario has them partly deleted), then there could likely be a problem with proper compositioning of a (needed) core troops file. Or am I wrong? :wacko:

Going to take a look at this-getting ready for a trip though. But I will get back. Thanks Mad Mike. Yeah I suspected the "#" or "_"  fonts were playing havoc on my investigation on my script.  RockinHarry-I'm not at all sure now that simple and short training campaign was the right campaign to play with. Last night I download -per the link in this string ScAnCaDe and will play with that.

However it is heartening to read that the answer to my original question if you can recompile an original campaign is yes-it can be done.

UPDATE;
Success-using MadMikes CAM script and ScAnCaDe. And why not-these Keys to the Kingdom worked before of course. But now I know I can do it. [Just change the length of all these simple scenarios to 3 hrs-and the change stayed]

Experience has it's function. I believe my error in the past was using the #  and _ special characters  as pointed out (I'll just use letter font from here out.) And using ScAnCaDe to decompile -since I have all the CM module and everything is up to 3.11.

I appreciate the comments and advice and observations from all. :)

Edited by Tempestzzzz

Hm...the interesting thing about the Devon training campaign is that there´s no use made of the "core" file (or core units) feature, which could be of concern when re-compiling a campaign that has it. I´d i.e checked the files from Courage and Fortitude campaign which has partly different "core" formations in the various single scenarios, so it seems one needs to follow the approach figuring out which of the scenarios has all core troops in use and then saving that particular scenario as the core troops file. In case there´s no scenario which has all of the core formations that are used in the whole campaign included (cause one or another scenario has them partly deleted), then there could likely be a problem with proper compositioning of a (needed) core troops file. Or am I wrong? :wacko:

Nope, you're quite correct and this is a weak point of ScAnCaDe.

But I was never able to properly figure out the location of the core unit file information in the final campaign file. :(

Going to take a look at this-getting ready for a trip though. But I will get back. Thanks Mad Mike. Yeah I suspected the "#" or "_"  fonts were playing havoc on my investigation on my script.  RockinHarry-I'm not at all sure now that simple and short training campaign was the right campaign to play with. Last night I download -per the link in this string ScAnCaDe and will play with that.

However it is heartening to read that the answer to my original question if you can recompile an original campaign is yes-it can be done.

UPDATE;
Success-using MadMikes CAM script and ScAnCaDe. And why not-these Keys to the Kingdom worked before of course. But now I know I can do it. [Just change the length of all these simple scenarios to 3 hrs-and the change stayed]

Experience has it's function. I believe my error in the past was using the #  and _ special characters  as pointed out (I'll just use letter font from here out.) And using ScAnCaDe to decompile -since I have all the CM module and everything is up to 3.11.

I appreciate the comments and advice and observations from all. :)

Great, glad to hear it worked for you. :D

Nope, you're quite correct and this is a weak point of ScAnCaDe.

But I was never able to properly figure out the location of the core unit file information in the final campaign file. :(

I find it a great accomplishment to create such a tool, which does its purpose well! :) You can figure out how the pros made their campaigns, learn from it and do your own stuff from that learning. You can also pick out single scenarios or maps, if you like to play them individually, or learn and adapt from the scenario authors. Think the core file issue is something that needs to be fully understood first, as there´s obviously more than one way to create and compile a campaign.

Looks like you don´t need a dedicated "core" file everytime (Devon training) and when one is needed, it could possibly be reconstructed by analyzing the indidividual scenarios and then make a new core file which anyway always makes use of prefab formations from the unit editor. The questions is whether it´s worth the efforts and if it´s not better to ask the original campaign creator for a missing file. If it´s just for own private purposes then it might be ok for the original author, but otherwise the rights to change and publish a campaign, remain to him anyway.

• 1 year later...