Found a Grand Strategy Layer for a Combat Mission Game

MG TOW

So I bought this new $10 game for my PC called Viet Nam '65. I'm not here to plug the game or spam it.  Only to say its small scale and limited complexity would be absolutely ideal if the troop combat took place in the CM2 universe. You basically chopper a handful of platoons, around a limited map, patrol and keep them supplied using said hueys, while earning political points. These points can buy a battery, mechanized infantry platoon, M48's, Arvn yada yada. You get, and can buy more engineer coys to build forward operating bases for your SF units which you move around as a unit as well. Search and destroy NVA units, there's too much to go into. But the entire game only takes about 2 or 3 hours to play on a random generated map. The the scale of the game world would be the perfect grand strategy level for a CM campaign.

The the scale of the game world would be the perfect grand strategy level for a CM campaign.

You have a very peculiar conception of grand strategy. I'd say you are still on the tactical level, not even up to operational, grand tactical, or strategic levels yet, let alone grand strategic.

Michael

You have a very peculiar conception of grand strategy. I'd say you are still on the tactical level, not even up to operational, grand tactical, or strategic levels yet, let alone grand strategic.

Michael

Of course you are correct. I play only single unit and squad games pretty much on fields that measure in yards to a few miles. So when I come across a game which scopes an AO of 100 miles, to me this is grand strategy :lol: Would love to see a simple strategy layer for combat mission, and VN65 is extremely light in complexity. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought this new $10 game for my PC called Viet Nam '65. I'm not here to plug the game or spam it.  Only to say its small scale and limited complexity would be absolutely ideal if the troop combat took place in the CM2 universe. You basically chopper a handful of platoons, around a limited map, patrol and keep them supplied using said hueys, while earning political points. These points can buy a battery, mechanized infantry platoon, M48's, Arvn yada yada. You get, and can buy more engineer coys to build forward operating bases for your SF units which you move around as a unit as well. Search and destroy NVA units, there's too much to go into. But the entire game only takes about 2 or 3 hours to play on a random generated map. The the scale of the game world would be the perfect grand strategy level for a CM campaign.

I've been playing it for a few days now and it really wouldn't work too well as a CM op-layer because if you can reliably faceroll even NVA infantry on a routine basis, the guerrilla side has almost nothing to counter with. Don't get me wrong, it is a great game on its own; it has the knack (increasingly rare in wargaming) of being obviously simplified but still presenting a fair representation of the challenges of counter-insurgency. Managing the resource scarity of various sorts -- supplies, transport, firepower, specialized units -- atop of juggling between direct counter-guerrilla sweeps or presence among the population is rather nice and it illustrates rather well the tradeoffs involved. It is especially great that there are various strategies and even better that occasionally the circumstances will call for one rather than the others.

That and the damage/attrition modeling is incredibly simple: units that are hit are hurt. Units hit while hurt die.