CMSF Editor & AI Artillery

In the CMSF editor is there a way to adjust the time of when the AI fires it's supporting fires (mortars/arty)? It starts firing in the first minute or two. I would like to adjust the time back and have it fire when there is more likely to be a target in a certain area. Thanks.

From memory ... no.

As I don't have any more context, it is difficult to offer the best solution to your dilemma.

The way I would crack this would be:

Don't even bother with the AI fires option unless you want rounds down if the first 5 mins (I have never used the AI fire plan option in the AI part of the editor).

Identify where and when you want the rounds to fall.

Make sure that you have an observer with 'eyes on'

Arrange for your indirect fire assets to be reinforcements that arrive about 5-10 minutes prior to when you want the bombardment to start. So if you want to shell an area at around the 40 minute point, have the tubes arrive as reinforcements at the 30 minute point. This guarantees that your indirect fire will not be squandered in the early turns of the game.

Now ... there is still a lot of ... if you forgive the pun ... hit and miss with this approach but if you playtest enough you can refine it to the point where you should get the results you want more often than not. Remember that with CMSF 'Spy Forward Observers' are a force pick option. These guys are harder than many to spot so they give you a lot of flexibility.

PM me if you like and I can perhaps offer a more nuanced solution.

Arrange for your indirect fire assets to be reinforcements that arrive about 5-10 minutes prior to when you want the bombardment to start. So if you want to shell an area at around the 40 minute point, have the tubes arrive as reinforcements at the 30 minute point. This guarantees that your indirect fire will not be squandered in the early turns of the game.

Thanks Combatintman. I made the AI mortar crew a reinforcement unit. I am now re-playing the scenario to see how the AI supporting fires work out.

Also sent a PM with some follow up questions.

• 3 weeks later...