Arctic Convoys

The Arctic convoy scripts in AOD are in the wrong sequence. Thus they are going first to Murmansk rather than Archangel so they do not need to switch when Archangel is iced up. Murmansk was really a very unsuitable destination - too close to German airfields and with inadequate dockyard facilities.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

I've just been looking into this, and the problem we have is that we don't have a setting whereby we can switch off a convoy to Archangel in the winter and have it go to Murmansk instead.

That might be something for us to consider for the future for accuracy, but at the moment Murmansk is a better initial destination giving its ice free nature, with Archangel just being the back up should Murmansk fall.

Bill

Hi Bill

Do you mean that convoys can pass through ice without any problems?

I have not checked it but I have the impression that the Archangel route assumes that it is Summer and the convoy can take a more Northerly route without hitting the ice whereas the Murmansk route is the Winter route and has to hug the Norway coast. If that is the case then you are making the convoys more hazardous than they should be for most of the year.

You could I suppose create 5 Archangel convoys each of which starts a year after the other at the end of the previous winter and each of which gets switched off by a DE linked to the start of the next winter. The Murmansk Convoy just sits at the bottom sweeping up all the failed convoys.

Regards

Mike

The issue is that convoys cannot pass through ice and I believe this is why Murmansk is listed first followed by Achangel if the Murmansk convoy is shut down for game play reasons, i.e. a lost or damaged port and so on.

Regarding the routes, perhaps one solution would be path adjustments to make them work better in game as suggested.

Hi Hubert

What I have tried in my own development is to set Archangel first and Murmansk second with Archangel having a bigger transfer capacity as it should have. I then make the Archangel route subject to a DE which itself depends on the ownership of some territory at the bottom RHS of the map area. This area switches between USSR and Axis ownership with a series of dated teritory events coinciding with the start and finish of winter for each year of the war. This effectively switches off the availability of Archangel during the winter months. Of course if Archangel falls to the Axis then the convoy route would also revert to Murmansk with its lower handling capacity unless that too was captured. In the standard scenario Archangel is reduced to zero in its winter seasonal reduction so if Murmansk is lost the convoys still cannot get through the ice to Archangel. Which is what my scenario should achieve but hopefully if I have coded it right the convoys can use Archangel as their first choice for 9 months of the year regardless of the situation at Murmansk.

Regards

Mike