80% quality?

ianc

<table><tr><td bgcolor=#648277><font color=#e7e9de size="-1">I think I heard from someone who knows someone...</font></td><td bgcolor=#e7e9de><font color=black> It was mentioned somewhere that armor gets brittle if it gets hit too often. I'd guess the tank in question got "softened up" by multiple hits. I'm not sure though.</font></td></tr>

</table>

<<changed colors>>

[This message has been edited by Lindan (edited 12-31-99).]

Yes, there is a variable armor quality rating. Some of the early Sherman models, for example, reportedly had metallgurical flaws and this is simulated in Combat Mission. Armor with less than 100% quality increases the chance of hitting a weak spot when firing against it, as far as I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Some of the early Sherman models, for example, reportedly had metallgurical flaws and this is simulated in Combat Mission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This reminds me of something that's been gnawing on me for a while re: Sherman armor.

The original design of the Sherman had, I believe, a 55^ sloped front plate 2" thick. On these tanks, the drivers' hatches protruded out as little humps on the front slope. These tanks also usually had final drive covers on the lower front hull that were semi-circular in cross section, relatively thin, and made up from 3 bolted pieces. Later on, the "ultimate Sherman" design became standard, with a 2.5" front plate at 47^ (flat across front, drivers' hatches on top surface now), and a much thicker, somewhat pointed, 1-piece final drive cover.

From what I can tell, these design changes had no effect on the model number of the tank. IOW, some tanks had all the original features, some all the old, and some had various combinations, depending on which factory made them and what date. Yet if they all had the Ford motor, they were all called M4A3.

So, finally getting around to my question....

Which type(s) of front armor did CM pick for the various models of Shermans? Does the "+" Sherman in "Chance Encounter" mean the 47^ slope and the others the 55^? The graphics are all of the 47^ slope, however.

-Bullethead

All the shermans in the demo have the 47 degree front plate. I'm not sure about the other ones being around in the final game.

The '+' designation has nothing to do with front slope, and is, as Jason said, simply extra armor applied in the field.

-John Hough

btw, Lindan, could you please stop doing that thing you do? Nothing personal, it's just a bit hard on the eyes. Thanks. smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Bullethead,

I am not the Sherman expert that Charles is, but the numbering system was a bit more standardized than that. The "M" number did take into account the armor and other feature changes. HOWEVER, the US Army shipped back many older models and had them retrofitted with various improvements and sent back to the front or some sort of other non-combat purpose. I am pretty sure, from what I recall, that this is where things get VERY screwy.

I forget how many Shermans we have in the game, but it is a large number. All the stats come out of Hunnicutt's massive book on Shermans, so expect the best in CM smile.gif

Steve