HOFFNUNG CAMPAIGN - Scenario 4 *SPOILERS*

This was again completely different from the first three scenarios as it turned out (surprisingly) to be primarily armor vs armor (finally!) despite the smallish map and village objective.

I have always been more comfortable/luckier with armor than infantry. I started out by sending my Pumas and 234/1's along the two straight roads that led eventually into the village. There was a rise halfway, and I set the first recon waypoints to (hopefully) get my vehicles into a hull-down position with LOS to the village.

No sooner had they arrived there than a platoon of Stuarts were seen moving towards them. A 234/1 took out a Stuart but was immediately KIA. However, over the next minute or so the 3 Pumas KO'd another 3 Stuarts. So, 4 Stuarts for the price of one 234/1. (One Puma immobilized(!) earlier but was able to take part.) The 5th Stuart was KIA later.

My 3 (remaining non-immobilized from prior scenarios) Panthers went up the roads to support the recon guys when the first of what ended up being a company of M4's started to appear. Over the next 20 minutes or so, the Panthers did a great job KO-ing the M4's (including a couple of 76mm gunned). Around 50 minutes to go, there were 12 M4's KIA for no further friendly losses.

The Panthers slowly advanced up the roads and shot up US infantry in the village. The 2 remaining (non-immobilized from prior scenarios) MkIV's went around the bocage to the high ground to flank the village along with a full platoon of inf. From there they were able to KO another 2 or 3 M4's and also shoot up US infantry. With around 40 minutes still to go and seemingly little further resistance I became impatient for the "knock out blow" and sent in the German infantry - a bit prematurely as I took about 25 casualties including another Puma and a Panther.

One wonderful moment as an M4/76 attacked down the road and a two man recon team that was simply sitting by the side of the road with a PzFaust blew it up good.

Around 35 minutes to go, the US surrendered with the loss of 17 tanks vs 1 Panther, 1 Puma (and 1 immobilized), and 1 234/1. Lovely close quarters armor battle and a VERY nice change from the somewhat repetitive infantry dominated scenarios that we get all the time.

Other than the unrealistic levels of vehicle bogging/immobilization this is a terrific campaign and am enjoying it a lot.

What was fun re the 4th scenario was that I was convinced it was going to be an infantry attack and I figured I may just leave my tanks in the rear so no more immobilization. It was a total surprise when my recon forces encountered the Stuarts, and then another shock when I found myself facing a company of M4's. Good job!

I presume this 5th scenario is the final one? I may go back and try the cross country option scenario as I saved the preceding end of scenario file.

I would recommend to any designer that either weather be set to drier, or there be some tank reinforcements as it's simply frustrating and adds nothing to gameplay pleasure to lose half your armor force to nothing more than mud.