Possible win2000 newbie questions

Nabla

Ok, my win98 finally did it and broke down so that CM won't start anymore.

I had some driver in the past already so I though I might change over to win 2000. Since I've never used that one (I use Linux 98% of the time) I don't know what to expect. So I have a few questions:

1. Any specific problems to look forward to?

2. From what I've heard I've gathered that in win 2000 you have a dedicated administrator account. Should CM be installed as the administrator or can it be installed as a normal user?

Thanks a lot in advance smile.gif

some possible answers,

1.Nvidia drivers? also mabey voodo 3/4/5 drivers..

2.you should install it under your regular user account.

just like Linux\Unix administrator account = root

adn you dont want to mess around to much as root

3. Stay with win 98 if you only use Windoze for games and the like.

2000 pro aint all its cracked up to be unless you use it in large network.

Rember 2000 pro = beefed up NT

NT = Workstation

Workstation = crappy gaming machine

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Dogface ]</p>

win2k workstation: as good with games as win98, the only thing I nag about is the lack of drivers for the old Aureal Vortex 2.

Anyway, Nabla, when you install win2k, you use the administrator account to create an account named "Nabla" or something and then give it the admin rights. Then install any ****/games using your Nabla account. The administrator account is just, well, you know. The main user for a win2k machine about always has administrator rights for the machine, otherwise the user would end up in trouble trying to install new software.

I use win2k, more stable, and when you got it set up you don't have to reinstall all the time.

Call me paranoid, but what I advise is the following:

Install software as administrator, then create an account in the power users group to use. You can even give PUs install rights. If the system should become compromised, damage can be limited.

WWB