Sequence of dismounting and deploying mounted infantry?

I don't see to be able to make this happen properly using the stacking commands concept, so I thought I'd check and see if I'm doing something wrong...

I have a mounted squad in a carrier ...

All I want to happen is the carrier to move from Point A to Point B, then at Point B have the infantry squad "dismount" the half track and move to a fire position. While the infantry are dismounting, I want the half track to stay stationary and then once the infantry are out, I want it to continue on a path into it's own "wait for pick-up" fire position.

When I check a highlighted waypoint where the half track has moved to, the ability to click on "dismount" or any "move" command using the infantry icon seems to be greyed out?

Can someone explain how I do this, if it's possible at all?

Thanks ... :)

Regards

Doug

I don't see to be able to make this happen properly using the stacking commands concept...

You can't do all that you want to do, I'm afraid. Nearly all, but not quite.

I have a mounted squad in a carrier ...

All I want to happen is the carrier to move from Point A to Point B, then at Point B have the infantry squad "dismount" the half track and move to a fire position. While the infantry are dismounting, I want the half track to stay stationary and then once the infantry are out, I want it to continue on a path into it's own "wait for pick-up" fire position.

You can do all but the last bit.

When I check a highlighted waypoint where the half track has moved to, the ability to click on "dismount" or any "move" command using the infantry icon seems to be greyed out?

Yeah, you can only dismount or bail at the currrent location of the vehicle, which, for WeGo, means where it is when you're issuing orders.

Can someone explain how I do this, if it's possible at all?

1. Give the track its movement orders to where you want it to dump its passengers.
  2. Give the passengers a movement order to their fire position, plus any actions you want them to take at that waypoint.

When the halfie has completed its waypoints and come to a halt, the passengers will execute their movement orders in any remaining time of the turn.

Unfortunately, it's an engine limitation that the passengers won't get out until the transport has no more waypoints to go to. That's to stop them prematurely dismounting their ride if it has to halt (for an ordered Pause, or because of convoy or turn-circle shuffling). So you can't have a vehicle continue on once it's dropped passengers off.

You can also give prospective passengers movement orders to a vehicle that's moving. They will head towards that vehicle's last waypoint and wait there for its arrival, mounting up in any spare seconds of the turn when it does arrive.

So if the HT is already stationary, and you give it orders as you describe, is there no risk that the troop will leap out before it starts moving?

(It sounds like not, just checking!)

You can also give prospective passengers movement orders to a vehicle that's moving. They will head towards that vehicle's last waypoint and wait there for its arrival, mounting up in any spare seconds of the turn when it does arrive.

Good to know! Do you mean that the troops, don't head towards the moving vehicle and converge with it, rather they "know" where the last waypoint is and head direct there?

GaJ

So if the HT is already stationary, and you give it orders as you describe, is there no risk that the troop will leap out before it starts moving?

(It sounds like not, just checking!)

I can confirm that this is my experience. If the troops aren't loaded yet, you can give the transport a pause order (30s usually does it if the troops are near) and tell the grunts to get in. That usually works.

Good to know! Do you mean that the troops, don't head towards the moving vehicle and converge with it, rather they "know" where the last waypoint is and head direct there?

Yup. They'll sit there and wait if the wheels have to come from a long way off, most of the time.