The attacker gets more points than the defender. In Attacks the attacker bonus is larger than in probes. That's the easy bit.

The other bit is that the VP split between casualties inflicted and VLs controlled changes, but I keep second-guessing myself as to which way round it is. Some judicious search-fu might turn you up the thread or two where this has been discussed before.

Lol, Womble, you were the source of info. Here is what you posted back in the day ina an old thread.

"Thank you Berto. That clears it up nicely.

In ME's 60% of the points available will be for destroying enemy units, 40% for terrain objectives. Sides will be built on even points.

Probes have a 50-50 split between unit and terrain objectives, down to 25% for units and 75% for terrain in assaults.

Oh, hang on... From the manual, p150:

Quote:

The code automatically adds an enemy-casualty threshold victory goal for each side, which is lowest for meeting engagements, and highest for assaults.

This, I think, also means that to get that lower proportion of the VPs, you have to kill progressively more of the enemy..."