The main use of seaplane carriers is to spot enemy ship or ground units, it's range is shot, but very usefull to not get your navy in problem facing a enemy force hidden in the sea. I normaly use this units with the others nacal forces, so as i move around i get to identify the sea in front of me, so i can attack the enemy ships with maximum effect. :)

I'd like to know how to actually use them. how do i recon with them? i set one in the ocean and surrounded it by enemy ships and it doesn't see anything. then i move the carrier at one of the squares where a ship is and i have contact whereby i'm damaged. i imagined a red bombing target like on recon bombers. even if i want to recon 2 squares away it will move me there, possibly leading to contact. how do they work?

I'd like to know how to actually use them. how do i recon with them? i set one in the ocean and surrounded it by enemy ships and it doesn't see anything. then i move the carrier at one of the squares where a ship is and i have contact whereby i'm damaged. i imagined a red bombing target like on recon bombers. even if i want to recon 2 squares away it will move me there, possibly leading to contact. how do they work?

I thought you were asking for what they are useful in game strategy...

Anyway, you can order the seaplane carrier to recon any area by holding Shift, a red target icon will appear in the place of the move icon. Just to add, if you move the seaplane carrier completely, to it's maximum movement, then the red icon will appear automatically.

Hope i have helped. :)