How does this game compare to other Grand Strategic Great War Games?

I’m quite interested in the period, unlike the Second World War it was always a conflict balanced on a knifes edge with the outcome up in the air anytime from 1914 to 1918. We still live in the shadow of the Great War. In many ways it defined the 20the century.

There haven’t been many PC games covering the war in its entirety. Despite really wanting to I could never get to enjoy World War One. The mechanics were simply too opaque for me to understand what was going on and make intelligent decisions. I even went so far as to obtain the board game version to check the charts but I was spending more energy fighting the interface then playing the game.

On the Other hand the Guns of August from Matrix Games may well be my favorite war game of all time. Frank Hunter is a bloody Genius when it comes to PC game designs and the apparent simplicity of the design hides an elegant, deep and addictive gameplay. Oddly enough I though the Original Guns of August board game was terrible but the PC version bears little resemblance.

When it comes to old fashioned board games I absolutely adore Path of Glory from GTM games.

How does Strategic Command compares? I read the review – frankly my greatest concern is that the map uses squares instead of 6-side hexes. Just seems a weird design decision

I think hexes would look alot better, easier on the eyes. But you can attack from 8-sides with the squares.

I try out the train wreck of Ageod WWI and did not like it at all. I may install it one of these days and give it a try again. Hopefully the patches help it out. I also have Guns of August but could not get into it for some reason. I also wish they would replace the horrible map of Europe they have.

IMO… SC-WWI this is the best WWI game out there right now. Its has and easy UI and it is also a very fun game to play. I say you should try out the demo and if you like it then get it.

The later patches of Guns of August had an alternate set of graphics you may like better. Take a look at my last AAR for the visual look:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1902732

4 years old and I still pick it up regularly for a match.

Makes it look more like an actual board game. Are there some good AAR somewhere that can give one an impression of what playing Strategic Command - World War 1 is like?

Ulver,

The WWI campaign is a lot of fun, easy to play and against another player maddening due to the shere size of the map. There are a lot of strategic decisions to be made where you can easily catch your opponent flat footed. I recommend trying the demo... I think the game is extremely addictive.

Hi Ulver

There are a number of AARs around. Here's one I played a few months back:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=97266

There have been others, including one by Airboy on the wargamer.com forum, and a number by German players on the si-games forum:

http://www.si-games.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Not forgetting of course the first that took place when the game was still in beta. Start at the bottom of this page:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=154&Itemid=418&limit=20&limitstart=60

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Bill

I try out the train wreck of Ageod WWI and did not like it at all. I may install it one of these days and give it a try again. Hopefully the patches help it out. I also have Guns of August but could not get into it for some reason. I also wish they would replace the horrible map of Europe they have.

IMO… SC-WWI this is the best WWI game out there right now. Its has and easy UI and it is also a very fun game to play. I say you should try out the demo and if you like it then get it.

Actually the Ageod World War One game is now pretty darn good. The first version did not attract me, but the Gold version with the new map and with the latest patch is fun to play and addictive.

I bought Frank Hunter's Guns of August years ago, but never really got into it. It has the feel of a board game like others wrote, but the interface and graphics just don't appeal to me. I must admit though, I haven't put much time into it.

Hubert's game is fun to play and comes really close to a true WW1 atmosphere. The events are definitely interesting to play. The game is definitely worth the money and I have had no regrets purchasing it. I also have the other SC games and I'm playing the Pacific game right now and having a blast.

SC WWI is a superb game , the Mods are truly what make this series OUTSTANDING!!! Ageods WWI in the Gold version is as good, the final Patch 1.08N is about to release soon and it will be OUTSTANDING!!!

That being said Modders hopefully make the Giant sized WWI and WWII all inclusive game we Grognards truly crave.

Well I was sufficient impressed by the reviews and praise here to go buy the game. Took a look and played around with it a bit. Look interesting and I’m looking forward to getting to grips with it. One complaint is the lack of tutorials. Not a big deal as the interface seems intuitive but it would still have been nice for those of us not used to the Strategic Command System.

One complaint is that the AI turns takes fairly long – am I missing an obvious way to speed it up? Also when I change zoom my screen takes 2-3 seconds to update. Likely because I’m using Full HD resolution on a big monitor only using a 512 MB graphics card. Is there a way to change to a simplified graphics to improve performance? Again not a big deal but I would rather have a simplified map and old-fashioned NATO counters especially if it could improve graphics performance.

Hi Ulver

There are a few things in the Options screen that you can try:

Untick the Show Moves/Combat option, and tick the Quick Logic one which is further to the right. You could also untick the Messages (AI turn) box.

Plus if you haven't already done so be sure to have downloaded and installed the latest 1.03 patch as it includes significant AI speed enhancements.

Bill