Able to fire at all?

Here's a pic of a Sherman that's parked itself up onto the reverse side of bocage.

It commenced firing the main weapon and also coaxial plus bow mg's at that angle, much of the fire below the maximum depession angle capable for either.

Am I misunderstanding something about the graphics, or is this just possible because CMBN is just a game?

Having crew commanded and driven a Sherman M4 for two years, I do know that this isn't physically possible or even close to the design capabilities of the tank. :D

Regards,

Doug

Old topic. The elevation limits are not modelled. LOTS of reasons for that. I won't get into that here, but feel free to search CMSF/CMBN forums for that.

The graphic representation will show the various projectiles coming out of the barrel at an angle. That's part of the implementation.

Ken

The redux version is that including minimum and maximum depression would trip up the AI. It would not be able to engage units outside the normal elevation angles. Even if BFC would spend a lot of effort and program some responses to help it cope it would invariably be the wrong thing to do in the players eyes. Advance when it ought to have backed up etc.

Backing up or advancing to get within the elevation parameters would likely see AI tanks get killed in new and exciting but ultimately dumb and unsatisfying ways. So it is considered a lot of effort for no real improvement in the experience.

It is a bit of a pity but it cannot be helped. Well, except by maybe a very large pile of money.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100019

We just can hope for patches to deal with it in the very near future. It´s not a true game breaker, since CMBN is just a "game" and not a combat simulator,..or maybe just parts of it is a combat simulator, mixed up with arcade elements,...or a game with combat simulator elements...don´t really know where it aims at at last. We´ll see...:confused:

It's not something that can or will be dealt with in a patch. It's a limitation of what can be done with the current unit AI in the game. Steve has noted that simply adding code to represent the technical aspects of max. elevation and depression in the game would be fairly simple. But coding the AI to "know" what to do when a target is above or below the limits of the gun mount's range of motion is a complex and difficult problem and not one BFC can solve easily.

Best you can hope for is that BFC will be able to add a more elegant solution to the game engine for a future game family, such as CM:Bulge or CM:Bagration. But for CMBN, it's a compromise due to available coding time and resources that we're just going to have to live with.

I don't think it's that big of deal and now I know about it, I'll be less fussed about how I place my own armor, although 60 degrees sideways on a crest might look a little odd. :D

Being an old driver, crew commanders used to beat on us about being level and I was worrying about the gun alignment as I went into "hull downs" etc. I guess I can stop worrying ...

Regards,

Doug