Buying a DVI flat panel ???

Smart people that know things about technology,

I am looking into buying a flat panel monitor (18" or 19") and I am having problems understanding if I should buy one of those digital jobs (DVI) or if I should save the $200 and go with the analog. I have (will have) one of those DVI out video cards.

I'm primarily considering the NEC's.

My major graphic application is CM (everything else is spreadsheets).

Thanks much for any advice,

James Bailey

[ October 18, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: James Bailey ]

Well, I can tell the difference running my flat-panel via DVI compared to analogue. DVI is better, much cleaner. I'd never buy another analogue flat-panel.

But then I'm fussy like that (champagne tastes and beer money, as they say). Your mileage may vary.

I guess the best way to answer your own question is to try to compate the difference side-by-side.

Have you considered the upper-range Samsung monitors? I've read good reviews of them (though never seen one).

[ October 19, 2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: jiggles ]

Got this from http://www.aarp.org/computers-howto/Articles/a2002-07-16-flatpanel

Analog vs Digital Performance

In side by side comparisons, a monitor hooked up digitally will have better picture quality than the same monitor hooked up through an analog connection. With an analog connection, there is always some analog to digital conversion needed, and this will affect the picture quality. Since the monitor is digital and the computer is digital, if the connection is digital, no conversion is necessary and the picture quality is better.

So why use analog at all? First, as previously noted, most computers in use today have analog only video cards. Also, the DVI (Digital Video Interactive) or digital connector used on video cards, has only recently gained enough acceptance to become a standard for future video cards.

Previously, flat panel monitors when used with an analog connection were known to produce a kind of pixel jitter where individual pixels on the screen moved around slightly. This didn't happen with laptop computers because they were always hooked up directly to the video controls digitally, but it often affected desktop flat screens. Improved technology in the newer monitors with analog connections have eliminated this problem, making flat panels with analog connections quite good.

Swift and Jiggles,

Thanks for the replies. Think I will go with the digital Flat Panel so no analog gets mixed up in there.

I haven't looked at the high-end Samsung's -- looks like they have some nice stuff from their website. I'm primarily looking at the Viewsonic's and NEC's as I have seen both and they do a nice job.

Best regards,

James Bailey

I had gotten a 20" LCD for my wife to use.

I first hooked it up on a quality analog video card. (Because her new PC hadn't arrived yet.)

Later, I hooked it up to a card which supported the DVI interface.

You could clearly see the difference in image quality.

---

I just got a new 21" CRT for doing work and games.

An LCD is great for text at the native resolution. At non-native resolutions, they look like crap compared to a CRT. For games, it's not always possible to play everything at the native resolution. Also, simulations with fast video updates are going to blur. Strategy style map games would probably be fine.

Guest Panzer Boxb

I'm using a Dell 20" flat panel with both analogue and digital interfaces. The analogue is connected to my Linux server and the DVI to my PC. Huge difference in video quality and I will only use analogue now for server-based consoles.