Open source for EOS

jeep

Since EOS development is effectively done, how about releasing the game as open source? A lot of the topics for improvement that have been discussed here could be addressed that way.

Hi Jeep.

I have a contract with Battlefront for a period of three years. We're currently getting close to the two-year period (it was released in November 2009). There may also be some third-party deals as well. While I don't have any particular problem transitioning to open-source, I want to make sure I'm not harming or undermining any of the other parties involved. So, transitioning the entire game to open-source* is unlikely to happen before November 2012.

* I say "transitioning the entire game to open-source" specifically because it would probably be fine to release parts of it as open-source.

Brit, what about you collaborating with others under Battlefront NDA to continue with some EOS development?

As an example, Matrix/Slitherine has a group of modders who have released a custom mod Grand Strategy 2.0 for Commander Europe At war. They apparently have access to the source code for some editing to enhance the scenario editor capabilities, thus provide some additional features to their custom mod. Apparently all done with the approvals of all concerned.

Just a thought.

Brit, what about you collaborating with others under Battlefront NDA to continue with some EOS development?

As an example, Matrix/Slitherine has a group of modders who have released a custom mod Grand Strategy 2.0 for Commander Europe At war. They apparently have access to the source code for some editing to enhance the scenario editor capabilities, thus provide some additional features to their custom mod. Apparently all done with the approvals of all concerned.

Just a thought.

By the way, a few weeks ago, I created an open-source project for the AI. I'm still working through getting the code to work properly (mostly problems with naming collisions), though, so the project doesn't actually have any source code in it. I figured I'd delay mentioning it until there's actually some code there to play around with. The new AI will run in a separate DLL, so players with C++ knowledge can have compile a new AI and get their copy of EOS to run their version of the AI.

The issue where the different players games can get out of sync. It happens to me all the time if my stupid dell crashes right after processing the turn but before I hit the save button. The other players will get 2 sets of events for the turn, since when I reload the game it has to calculate the turn again.

I think it can also happen when one of the other players (not the host) thinks it sent the event file but the host doesn't receive it (corrupt file on the server or some other issue). In that case it just seems like that player starts seeing weird behavior.

All sorts of strange behavior follows that.....

BTW, the crashes don't seem related to the game. It is some mysterious dell problem that happens every so often.

The issue where the different players games can get out of sync. It happens to me all the time if my stupid dell crashes right after processing the turn but before I hit the save button. The other players will get 2 sets of events for the turn, since when I reload the game it has to calculate the turn again.

I think it can also happen when one of the other players (not the host) thinks it sent the event file but the host doesn't receive it (corrupt file on the server or some other issue). In that case it just seems like that player starts seeing weird behavior.

All sorts of strange behavior follows that.....

BTW, the crashes don't seem related to the game. It is some mysterious dell problem that happens every so often.

The latest update has improvements to make the PBEM games more stable (the game will automatically re-download game events if they are corrupted during download; the game autodetects corrupt events using a checksum), but that particular problem wasn't addressed. I have an idea about how to fix it, but haven't thought through the fix enough and haven't changed any code. (Sorry)