LOS stickiness

Hi all,

NO SPOILERS

I have been playing the Carentan operation and had no problems until I reached the 3d scenario. For one reason or another, the LOS tool has suddenly become very sticky. What I mean is that if you move the cursor over the battlefield the line "jumps" to the cursor's new position instead of gliding. Same with movement paths. Quiting and rebooting does not solve the problem, and it has continued into the 4th scenario. I loaded fraps to see what the fps was and discovered that invoking the LOS tool cuts fps in half. I then loaded up a stand alone scenario with a large map, and invoking the LOS tool had no effect on fps.

This problem has not manifested itself in any other scenario or operation I have played and, as noted above, it did not occur during the first two scenarios of the Carentan op either. I should also note the stickiness is persistent, i.e. it is always there, regardless of the presence of smoke, level of trees displayed, number of enemy visible, etc.

I installed the latest Creative Driver's for the vid card just b4 I installed CM (june release).

System Specs:

433 Celeron

128 meg Ram

Creative TNT2 AGP (32 meg)

SB Live

Full install, v1.01 patch, MDMP-1

Regards,

The Dude

I have no answer here unfortunately.

I've seen a similar situation with a scenario/op, but it won't duplicate easily. At some point the LOS tool becomes very "jerky" and slow, though there is nothing else on the screen that would account for such a hit in the fps.

I wonder if there is some sort of resource that is being max'd out (which may depend on the system & driver configuration) for CM. Possibly some non-display oriented code that is "hiccupping" the machine, especially once the calc-intensive LOS tool is pulled out.

Guest Scott Clinton

Try removing the trees, smoke and vehicles from view (variouls hot keys) and see if the LOS is still 'sticky'. If not, they you have a resource issue. Maybe you need to tune your memory usage (I assume you have a PC) or upgrade.

If it is still sticky...I don't have clue. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Scott,

Turning various options on or off seems to have no effect. The problem first cropped up in scenario 3 of the op. Now, in the setup phase of scenario 4 the LOS is still sticky. I would guess that the setup phase is probably one of the least resource intense portions of the game. It seems Schrullenhaft has experienced a similar problem, so maybe it is something obscure in the code.

Thanks,

The Dude

Just a little update on this. I loaded up one of the "huge" stand alone scenarios a few days ago, big map and lots of units. As expected I took a pretty good framerate hit. In fact, when the view is at level 4 and most of the map is visible it drops as low as 5fps. However, even at this low rate the LOS tool does NOT become "sticky" like it has in my Carentan scenario. I don't mind the choppiness that much when panning the view, but determining LOS is a real headache when you can't "sweep" the LOS tool over an area to see what is and what is not visible to your units.

Regards,

The Dude

Guest Scott Clinton

Well, I too am now encountering this...

But my main problem is with when I am trying to plot movement the cursor becomes sticky.

I can live with the LOS being sticky but I need 'control' when I am issuing orders.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.