Immediate crash when starting CMBO.

I just bought the game in EB (UK). I installed it ok, but when I try to run it I get the white box that shows resolution etc and the PC freezes. I lose the keyboard and mouse control and have to re-boot the machine from the re-set button.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm dying to try this game and a refund won't satisfy.

System Spec:

Win98SE.

Elite Mobo (K7S5A).

AMD XP 1600

512Mb 133 RAM (Crucial).

CL GeForce3 (Drivers: Det 23.12).

SB-Live (Drivers: LiveWare3).

Ethernet Card.

Logitech Marble Mouse (Latest drivers, didn't help).

MS Keyboard.

DX8.1

ADSL Modem.

Desktop resolution 1600x1200x16

Tried 1024x768x16, didn't help.

Optimal refresh rate.

Graphics card has own IRQ.

MoH, Il2, DoD, Age of Empires, Close Combat, PE...these all run fine on my rig.

Shogun won't, but that hasn't ever run on my four seperate attempts over the last two years on two completely different rigs.

smile.gif

[ March 13, 2002, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Siggi ]

What's the first resolution that you see ? During the resolution selection process do you immediately lock up (move the mouse around) or does it take a while ? When CM goes through the resolution selection process it will typically start at your current desktop resolution coupled with the highest refresh rate defined by your video card and monitor definition. If nothing is selected (OK or Skip), then it proceeds to the next lower refresh rate at the same resolution within about 3-5 seconds. When it reaches the last defined refresh rate at that resolution it will switch down to the next resolution defined by your video card (going through the available refresh rates at that resolution). Once it has gotten down to 640x480 (possibly at 60Hz), it will error out with a DirectX error if no resolution was selected during the entire process.

I have no idea if the 23.12 Detonators are problematic for DirectX or not, especially on some of the newer VIA chipsets. I'd suggest upgrading your drivers with a newer beta from Guru 3D (Videocard drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers and Detonator 27.70 is the latest for Win9x/ME). There may be some speed, quality or compatibility differences with these drivers compared to what you're currently running. I don't know if loading these drivers will cause any problems for you (they may), but not necessarily because they're beta releases. NVidia likes to tinker around with video quality to achieve speed (so do other video card/chip manufacturers), sometimes this causes a noticeable decrease in quality and occasionally results in some other problems/bugs.

If you haven't already installed it, then I'd suggest also downloading the latest VIA 4-in-1 patch (4.37a) or their latest AGP driver 4.10 (at the bottom of the page). You can get them from VIA Arena. I'd suggest applying either or both (the AGP driver is newer than what is in the 4-in-1 package) BEFORE upgrading your video driver. You may also want to check out the support forums since there always seems to be some sort of problem with VIA hardware and some video or sound card (not that VIA is bad; there's just some common problems).

Thanks mate, but I found the problem last night after the dxdiag tests failed (Direct Draw and Direct 3D). Looks like the 23.12 drivers are bad. I went back to the 12.90's and all is now fine.

As for the game...mmm...looks ropey as hell but I couldn't stop playing it. It has depth and complexity, though the AI seems to cheat. I'm into LAN play though, so I'll try that with my bro. If he likes it too it'll be a keeper. smile.gif

Siggi,

The AI has NO advantage over the human opponent. Soon you will be defeating the AI no problem. Then onto pbem and tcp/ip.

Rune

Originally posted by Siggi:

Thanks mate, but I found the problem last night after the dxdiag tests failed (Direct Draw and Direct 3D). Looks like the 23.12 drivers are bad. I went back to the 12.90's and all is now fine.

As for the game...mmm...looks ropey as hell but I couldn't stop playing it. It has depth and complexity, though the AI seems to cheat. I'm into LAN play though, so I'll try that with my bro. If he likes it too it'll be a keeper. smile.gif

Playing the AI, it seems to be a little psychic in anticipating my moves. But hell, fuzzy logic can do only so much.

Me and my bro had an all-night session last night. Apart from the usual friction of me taking two minutes to have my turn opposed to his half an hour of micro-manangement, we had a blast. Second tester we did was a huge map with 5000 points each...awesome.

This is the best PC wargame I've yet played. It pisses all over Close Combat from a great height. The 'feel' of tactical combat is spot on. The units are right, the AI behaviour is right, the sounds are excellent, the effects are satisfying...and it didn't crash once.

Issues...I would like to have a switchable option that allows forests etc to show their full content. Eg, no gaps thru trees that are not really there. Ditto scrub/bushes etc. If it's there, show it.

Er...that's it! Blimey, one issue. Lol.

This game is a masterpiece, imo. It goes on my triple-A shelf next to RB3D, Il2 and DoD. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif