Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

once again: fog problem

I guess in the meanwhile there are more ATI Radeon users out there than ever before.

BTS is there any chance, for making a fog table patch?

Why i'm asking?

Well i tried the tool Rage3DTweaker, which gives the opportunity to enable table fog emulation, and it really had an effect: the screen turned grey.

So maybe there's only the need to change a few parameters, that ATI cards will also become able to show fog correctly.

It seems more and more games using TABLE FOG fog, use a workaround for the problem with ATI chips.

PLEASE check it once again.

Best regards,

Schoerner

The problem is that we do not make card specific changes to the code. The game code conforms to all DirectDraw requirements on Windows but video card makers tend to cut corners when they release drivers. They do these to improve performance and sometimes it just happens because drivers are code like anything esle and are sometimes released with bugs in the.

What happens is that with one set of drivers everything works as it should but with another suddenly the text disapears or is fuzzy or the background is all blank.

As a game maker we can not continually play catch-up with ATI or Nvidia or anyone else for that matter because as soon as we try they will undoubtablly release a driver update that will screw up everything. We have already seen that repeatedly with Nvidia.

Combat Mission uses Fog Tables, ATI on the PC does not support them. They do on the Mac, but not in Windows. Those other games you speak of most likely use Vertex based fog which requires a lot more horsepower and is not appropriate for a game like CM and would also require a considerable recoding effort to implement.

As we have said before, if you really want fog in Combat Mission, you need to tell ATI to add full fog table or fog table emulation support for Windows. I can not understand why they would support Fog Tables in MacOS but not Windows espicially when practically every other video card on the market and for the last 3 years has.

Madmatt

[ October 21, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]