Courage and Fortidude. Commentary. Do you feel lucky?

OK, finally got around to finishing the first mission and managed it with a total victory and about 15 minutes to spare. Much better. Still lost two M5s though but at least I never ran out of time. Through the woods, up the hill and then cut right to left - lots of fun that time.

And on to the infamous School of Hard Knocks!

OK, Wow - that German arty is pretty impressive...:D So far I've been very cautious; I lost a couple of engineers due to major fannying around trying to get them to blast the wire. Don't know what the deal was - never had that problem before. Lost a Sherman to one of the guns before pulverizing it with mortars. Still, using flaming Shermans to bait ATGs seems a rather expensive way to do it.

Anyway, on we go!

OK, finally got around to finishing the first mission and managed it with a total victory and about 15 minutes to spare. Much better. Still lost two M5s though but at least I never ran out of time. Through the woods, up the hill and then cut right to left - lots of fun that time.

And on to the infamous School of Hard Knocks!

OK, Wow - that German arty is pretty impressive...:D So far I've been very cautious; I lost a couple of engineers due to major fannying around trying to get them to blast the wire. Don't know what the deal was - never had that problem before. Lost a Sherman to one of the guns before pulverizing it with mortars. Still, using flaming Shermans to bait ATGs seems a rather expensive way to do it.

Anyway, on we go!

[pssst...rumor has it that the barbed wire is mined. So, losing the engineers was likely not because you did something wrong. And whatever happens.....don't decide to completely stop playing a wargame ever again after this scenario.]

Actually, it isn't the mines that were the problem. I knew about the mines - boy, did I know about the mines - but rather I seemed to have real problems getting the 'Blast' command to work right, which was strange because I've never had any problems with it in all the years I've played Strike Force or since I got BN. I actually ended up reloading from a previous save a couple of times because the first two attempts ended with my engineers wasting all their satchel charges on making pretty craters without actually clearing the wire. Don't know what the deal was. Third time I tried it worked but a mine caught a couple of them.

I'm actually really enjoying this mission, perverse as it sounds. I've lost 4 out of five tanks and got pretty pissed off when some German arty rounds happened to land on K company in their set up position about 10 seconds after they had arrived as reinforcements, wiping out a platoon CP and a whole squad. Aside from that, though, I'm having a blast.

Does anyone remember that scenario from the CMBB disk? The one with the churchyard and cemetary on the hill? Wasn't a huge map but was an utter sod. Now that was disheartening!

La Hoye du Puits

1/2 way through, 50 turns done, 50 to go.

One of the "challenges" in this scenario is that you get your money's worth. At 15-20 minutes a turn, 100 turns is a lot.

Am starting to warm up to it, now that I am at the town entrance. Looks like a classic house to house urban fight, with the classic Cathedral in center. Another intricate and well designed map.

I don't know if I could have made it across the field, though, if there was german artillery coming at me and I needed smoke. My large formation movement was atrocious (a "casualty" of playing too late at night), and I am just now sorting things out.

This seems like a mini-tutorial on bocage and "Blast", in addition to the city fighting. A great diversity of fights in this Campaign (except for the necessary plethora of bocage)

Andreas also created another SEVERELY frustrating mission for CMBO that used to be over at der kessel. Can't remember the name of the scenario but the file name was blackshear.cmb. Seems like he did that one on CMBB with the hordes of conscript unfit Soviets called "moon walk" or "walking on the moon" as well where you ahd to do a shore landing and herd those apes across an open field covered with HMG.

• 1 month later...

(Cemetary Hill...shudder...the key is that it looks like it should be winnable...must have tried 3 dozen times)

Only 17 turns left in La Haye.

Spectacular.

Spectacular.

The campaign, in many of the scenarios, emphasises the issue of daylight and night.

By the time you get into the town, it is pitch dark, and it is a knife fight. Burning AFVs give some illumination.

Win or lose (and I think I will win unless I have huge losses), the campaign seems to me designed like a movie, with a firm director.

It is like...oh...I can't believe I am going to use this analogy....Stravinsky and the Rites of Spring [i should google to see if that is the correct name], you like it or your don't (Wagner also comes to mind), but one is watching talent.