Marines wont start

Early this year after seeing the HBO miniseries Generation Kill i developed an intrest in modern conflicts in the middle east. I then purchased CMSF and the marines module and found this to be one of the most realistic and challenging games i have ever played and many late nights were spent playing this. I loved commanding us marines through brutal urban combat or ambushing us convoys with the underequipped syrian insurgents. Unfortunately i had to remove some games to make room for Empire and Napoleon total war and as i had lost intrest in CMSF i decided to uninstall it thinking i could easily reinstall it anytime. However after reading the book Generation Kill i have slowly regained intrest in CMSF so i decided to give it another go. The installation went well and the base game of CMSF worked fine when i tested it but now that i installed the marines module the game no longer launches. I click on the desktop shortcut and the mouse cursor changes to the little blue loading ring but nothing happens and the cursor goes back to normal. I tried running it as administrator and the same thing happens and i have also tried running it from its folder in program files. I never had this problem before and after searching online i seem to be the only one with this problem. Any help or suggestions would be welcome and i would really like to play this game again. My computer is an ASUS g73jh notebook with Windows 7 64bit OS Intel core i7 q720 processor and 8gb RAM

So the base game worked fine, but as soon as you install the Marines module the game will no longer launch ? Do you know if you had to add DEP (Data Execution Prevention) exceptions in the past to get the game running ? When you purchased CMSF and the Marines module, was CMSF a separate purchase and was it perhaps the retail/Paradox version of the game ? Were these two installed on this particular laptop before or is installing them something new to this laptop (i.e. - the Asus laptop didn't have CMSF + Marines installed on it before) ?

What security software are you running on your laptop ? You may need to disable it (at least temporarily) to see if it may be interfering with the running of the game.

Are you certain that the Marines module got installed into the appropriate directory ? If it didn't, then the game may try to run, but it will be missing almost all of its necessary files.

For the DEP information you may want to reference the Knowledgebase article on DEP.

Firstly id like to thank you for replying. Yes the base game worked fine but marines wont and i didnt have to add DEP exceptions the first time i installed the game which was on the same laptop i am using now. The base game is the Paradox retail version purchased on ebay while the Marines module(disc version) was purchased seperately from Battlefront. I have Norton internet security but i turned it off and the game still wont start so i dont think that is causing the problem and i am sure it is installed in the right directory. However sometimes when i try to run the game the screen goes black as if it loading and the marines icon with the green light appears in the bottom left corner of the screen as it does in the game menu but the rest of the screen remains black. Does this mean the module did not install properly?

The Paradox distribution of the game does not need DEP since it does not use eLicense. However it is possible to need the DEP setting once you have installed the Marines module.

You'll need to double-check the installation directory when you're installing the Marines module. Typically the installer should be able to find the CMSF install, but sometimes it may not. The Paradox installation is going to typically default to a different one than the Battlefront distribution of CMSF. So it is possible that the Marines installation may have installed in a different directory, but if that is the case then the game would be inoperable (possibly what you're seeing).

So double-check where the Paradox version of CMSF has been installed to (possibly \Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Combat Mission Shock Force) and then make sure that the Marines module gets installed there too. Also double-check that it doesn't get installed into a subdirectory (such as \Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Combat Mission Shock Force\Combat Mission Shock Force). The Marines executable will get installed into the '..\Modules' sub-directory, but the main game executable will also be replaced (so that it can support the Marines content).