roll a d6

"Really dumb frickin' song. But I suppose the whole thing is fairly representative of D&D players, which is why I've always tried to avoid having anything to do with them."

No worse than a song about a leopard-skin pill-box hat though, surely? :)

Close to the truth. One of the few Dylan songs—at least from that period—that I never liked.

Michael

Which is probably my point. I think it's all got a bit uber.

It always has once you get out of a system's 'sweet spot', which for 1st Ed was probably Lv5-10, and 3.5 broadened it a little. The period where your character's got a few things they can do relatively well, but can't level an entire city single-handed. Assuming the Ref hasn't been too generous with the MIs... :)

Hey Womble, you seem to like 3.5e fairly well. What do you think about 4e?

Haven't touched it. From what I've read, and heard from those whose opinions I respect I won't be touching it with your bargepole.

In the interests of 'full disclosure', I suppose I should say I'm not a great fan of 3.5 even. It's the best version I've played, and the ref who runs it is good enough that I don't mind playing under that system, but I despise class/level based systems as a concept (even though I've played some excellent and memorable games in spite of using them), and would far rather play a game where the character construction/development is skill-based, like RQ/CBRP or the Firefly/BSG/Iron Claw system or one of the Storyteller systems.