Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A Newbies Problems

I have just purchased CM and I have two small problems. Every time I start up CM I get the 3D DirectX test window. How do I get it to stop popping up? The other thing is that I downloaded the Mod Manager and copied the core files to my C Drive as I was advised to do, but only the core files [CD] shows on the Mod Manager Mod List. ??? I know these must be easy fixes, and the questions may have been asked before. I tried search to find a answer, but came up empty.

The '3D DirectX Test' is actually a resolution selection screen. If you exit out of CM normally, then a Prefs file is written and you don't have to select a resolution again unless you delete the Prefs file or you set your desktop resolution below what the Prefs file is set for. If that happens, CM assumes that your setup is incapable of playing its set resolution and brings up the resolution selection process starting at your new desktop resolution.

If you are playing CMBO, it is possible to play the game directly off of the CD. This means that you won't see any 'saved games', no new scenarios and you'll always be prompted to select the resolution. Make sure that whatever you're clicking on to launch the game is pointing to a hard drive installation of the game and not the CD itself (which is only necessary until you load up a scenario; for copy protection purposes).

I don't know much about the Mod Manager and what you're seeing.

The 3D DirectX window will continue to pop up if for some reason your video drivers are not properly ID'ing themselves to the game.

I would suggest first upgrading or reinstalling DirectX using the latest version that was just released.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=141d5f9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&displaylang=en

Then check for updated video drivers for your card and install those as well if need be.

As to the extra CMMOS files, pay close attention to the directions as stated in the CMMOS Install Guide.html document. The CMMOS mods (installed by running the Install CMMOS Mods.exe file) need to go in the EXACT same directory that you first installed CMMOS into.

If the mods were properly installed, when you check in your CMMOS install directory (wherever you installed it) and go into the CMBB\Mods folder (default location would be C:\Program Files\GEM Software Productions\CM Mod Option Selector\CMBB\Mods) you should see 136 different mod/zip/txt files located in there.

Madmatt

[ October 24, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]