Beta Patch Behavior

vcents

Ok...hopefully someone can answer my question.

Did a total reinstall of CM because I wanted to start with a fresh palette to apply the mods I had collected. Anyway, reinstalled, patched and applied the TCP/IP patch. Double clicked on the exe, into ran, went to splash screen and lo and behold, it reported 1.04. Like an idiot, forgot to patch to 1.05 before the IP patch. So, I installed the 1.05 patch and reapplied the TCP/IP patch...but no matter which exe I chose (either CM or CM Public Beta) it would always show 1.05. I figure "Screw it..the release version of the patch will be out soon...I can wait."

Well, the new public beta is out, and I installed it..same result...showed 1.05. I decided to test something..cut the CM executable out, pasted in a temp folder and then double clicked on the CM Public Beta exe...whammo...showed the new build. If I paste the CM exe back in and launch the Public Beta exe, it reports 1.05

Why is this happening? Is this all related to me installing the first IP patch when CM was only upgraded to 1.04?

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

------------------

The only thing worse than fighting with allies is fighting without them. - Churchill

[This message has been edited by vcents (edited 12-20-2000).]

Can you move 1.05 to another location and then launch the Public BETA from the CM directory?

Horrido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcents:

Nope...not clicking on the icon on the desktop..double-clicking on the exe in Windows Exploder..errr..Explorer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which I have done...then it works great..clicking on the cm public beta exe launches the correct version of the patch. My question is why does 1.05 run when I click on either cm exe or cm public beta exe (with both in the CMBO directory), but when I move the cm exe to another location (a temp folder) and have run just the cm public beta exe in the CMBO directory the proper beta versions runs.

In a nutshell: if both exe's are in the directory, it runs 1.05. If just the cm public beta exe is in the directory by itself, it runs the proper version.

------------------

The only thing worse than fighting with allies is fighting without them. - Churchill

VCents - You should send a Bug report to Matt to see if they know of this issue AND so that they can warn others that they MAY need to delete the non BETA from the CM directory (of course BTS may want to test this AND see if it is really a noteable issue). They may find it is a one-time issue and not worry about it.

Horrido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcents:

Which I have done...then it works great..clicking on the cm public beta exe launches the correct version of the patch. My question is why does 1.05 run when I click on either cm exe or cm public beta exe (with both in the CMBO directory), but when I move the cm exe to another location (a temp folder) and have run just the cm public beta exe in the CMBO directory the proper beta versions runs.

In a nutshell: if both exe's are in the directory, it runs 1.05. If just the cm public beta exe is in the directory by itself, it runs the proper version.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Madmatt

It sound slike you have a shortcut that is setup wrong. I have 13 versions of CM loaded in the same folder. I doubt it's a bug or at least not one in which I can replicate.

Did you install the patch DIRECTLY into your CM game directory? Did you make a new shortcut point to Combat Mission Public Beta.exe?

Once the official patch comes out it will overwrite the existing CM.exe so its not a big deal anyway and your the only one I have heard who has this issue.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-20-2000).]

Wow...am I special or what.

These are not shortcuts..I am double clicking on the executible itself...I'm not using any desktop icons or shortcuts. I did install the TCP/IP patch directly to the CMBO directory.

Oh well...once the patch comes out (for real) this will be a moot point. Just would like to try and find out why this is happening.

------------------