C2 links in scenario creation

How should one go about creating an order of battle in a scenario? For example, it's easier to delete the top level element in a battalion or company and then just have platoons. Then I got to thinking (which is a bad thing) , are you nerfing the units capability in the process?

That is, what harm, if any do the platoons have if they lack a company hq? If the platoon hq gets squashed, the other platoons keep going and have no problem, but the other platoons also will not have the coordination on one company hq feeding information to others. So it seems to me that keeping the company/battalion intact and adding and deleting units within it makes more sense then stacking platoons.

I'm curious what others think.

OK that's true. had to check it out. From the manual, units can effectively only trace command-and-control to their immediately-superior HQs. Higher HQs may fulfill this role only to a limited extent. If a squad or team is out of contact with its immediate superior (usually a platoon HQ) then its company or battalion HQ may provide voice and close visual contact, but not radio or distant-visual contact. This simulates that a higher HQ can't babysit a large number of units more than one level lower in the organization, and it means that higher HQs can't be used in a gamey way to make platoon HQs unnecessary, but they can step in and provide command-and-control in a limited radius in emergency situations.