mortar speed question

This is about the time mortars take to begin their mission. I know nothing about real life mortatrs so I'm not saying anything is wrong - I just don't understand it.

I'm talking about on map, deployed, oriented and unsurpressed mortar units.

A mortar with direct line of sight will fire at its target within a minute. So I assume this is the time the crew needs to get the distance, calculate the angle, adjust the mortar and start firing. That goes with what I know from various movies.

Calling a mission from an HQ that goes up two hops and down two hops through the battallion HQ takes 7 minutes. That feels ok since theres a lot of shouting to do and I guess they message goes back and forth a least twice to be sure they hit the right spot.

But then I have a HQ right beside the mortar unit calling for artillery. That will take 5 minutes. What the hell are they doing? Is that a union minimum time for mortar strikes so they don't get overworked? :)

Could someone please explain to me the mechanics of that?

Already brought up a couple of times. Beta testers confirmed that they've brought this issue up on the beta forums, so it is definitely being looked at. No official word from BFC, but I'm hoping we'll see some adjustment to on-map mortar call times when the spotting unit is within shouting distance of the mortar within next patch or two.

Already brought up a couple of times. Beta testers confirmed that they've brought this issue up on the beta forums, so it is definitely being looked at. No official word from BFC, but I'm hoping we'll see some adjustment to on-map mortar call times when the spotting unit is within shouting distance of the mortar within next patch or two.

I had not seen that. Good to know. The oddly long delay for on-mortars has been one of my key concerns with CMBN. I hope the review results in a reduced delay. (Assuming it would be historically correct). With a five minute delay for on-map calls for fire, I've stopped bringing on-map mortars since off-map is more flexible only sightly slower.