Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Graphics card question

I've noticed in a lot of other people's screenshots that their entire CM landscapes are rendered by their graphics cards.

On my battlefields, only the first, say, 50 meters in front of the camera are rendered by the graphics card. The rest of the battlefield looks like it is in software mode (grainy, pixelated mess--yuck!)

I have a Nvida graphics card in the 32MB range. I run CM at 800 x 600 (for better frame rate).

The question is:

How do I get my entire CM landscape to look "smooth" insted of looking like it is in software mode? :confused:

The pixellated look is simply because the graphics card only has one resolution of texture map to work with. This results in the "shimmering" or "sparkly textures" when moving the view. The usual technique to alleviate this problem is called "MIP mapping", where less detailed textures are used for objects that are further away. CM:BO does not use that technique.

But - your NVIDIA card will no doubt be able to run in some anti-aliasing mode (I use 2x2 myself), which will make everything look just great, by effectively taking an average value for each pixel rendered on the screen. You should be able to enable that feature from your graphics card's Properties menu (use the Direct X sub-menu).

The disadvantage is that the graphics card has a lot more work to do - so some experimentation between quality of graphics and acceptable frame rate is a good idea.

Shameless plug: this discussion shows what the result can look like.

Edited for typos redface.gif

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: voidhawk ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by voidhawk:

Shameless plug: this discussion shows what the result can look like.

Edited for typos redface.gif

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: voidhawk ]<hr></blockquote>

Heh. smile.gif It was your screenshots that I was looking at that reminded me to ask this question on the forum.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Assuming you have a Windows-PC with standard NVIDIA drivers:

right click Windows on background

Properties

Settings tab

Advanced

GeForce 2 GTS tab

Additional Properties

Direct3D Settings tab

More Direct3D

Anti Aliasing tab

Slider to 2x2

Select "Force antialiasing in all applications" box

<OK>, etc.

Thank you. I got there on my own by doing a search on my HD, finding the help menu, and then it instructed me the same way you just did.

However, when I enable anti-aliasing at 2x2 or 4x4, CM looks great, but all my in-game text goes haywire! (Like the armor penitration results)

What's up with this? Any idea?

Thanks BTW for your help voidhawk.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]</p>

Which OS are you running and what version of the NVidia drivers do you have ? The 14.70/15.70 and the 2x.xx series drivers pretty much cleared up the FSAA problems that the NVidia drivers had in the past with CM (where if FSAA is enabled the text boxes in the info bar at the bottom and the landscape text on screen would get weird characters or overlap, etc.).

You can get the 2x.xx series here or the 14.70's from here.

That did it. But my graphics card can't handel the bigger battles now. :(

Guess I'll have to keep my original settings. I know it insn't my PC because I'm on 256MB SDRAM and Pentium 1.4Ghz. I think I need more graphics power.

I'll probably upgrade when CMBB comes out. ;)

Thanks for you help. I know a few new things about my PC now. ;)

When you say your PC 'can't handle bigger battles now' what do you mean ? Will your computer lock up trying to load a 3D screen of a large battle or is everything slow ? FSAA has a very large effect on screen speed, especially if you're running a GeForce2 MX series card. I'd suggest reducing the FSAA to 2X, which should help with the speed.